Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
My original Tan Smart Cover has had some major adhesive failures where all around the edges and hinge then the layers have separated. AppleCare considers this normal wear and tear and on several occassions refused to replace it so I've decided to buy a new smart cover but am wondering if Polyurethane held up any better over time.

So does anyone have any opinions regarding Polyurethane vs Leather durability? Does poly fringe less around the edges? How is yours (leather or Poly) holding up?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My original Tan Smart Cover has had some major adhesive failures where all around the edges and hinge then the layers have separated. AppleCare considers this normal wear and tear and on several occassions refused to replace it so I've decided to buy a new smart cover but am wondering if Polyurethane held up any better over time.

So does anyone have any opinions regarding Polyurethane vs Leather durability? Does poly fringe less around the edges? How is yours (leather or Poly) holding up?
My black leather held up to heavy use on my iPad 2 from Aug2011 to March2012. Sold it looking damn near new.

My red leather with my iPad3 is holding up similarly, looking and feeling great.

Sounds like an adhesive failure, or a drying out from being handled, and breaking free from adhesives. I do clean mine with mink oil to preserve and keep supple like all my other leather products, holsters, belts, shoes on occasion. 3-6weeks or so.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
2 polys and 1 leather...all still good...no problems ...
Is one holding up better than the other? I just got a Creme leather one and I think it looks good on white, but i wont use it yet because it already seemed to be getting dirty after a few seconds of use so I'm reconsidering for Polyurethane or a dark leather.

LittleGwen

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Geen poly for a year and a half. It's holding up but it's getting pretty dirty. Thinking of purchasing another one. In blue perhaps ;)

shamash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Just a note on the leather.

I have the blue leather smartcover from Apple, and it's gorgeous, but it gets dirty quite easily, and you have to be very careful with it, because it shows wear. It's leather, leather doesn't like to get wet. Not thinking about it and trying to clean it with a dab of water will leave a mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.