Smart Cover Leaves behind oil on clean screens

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dagomike, Mar 15, 2011.

1. dagomike macrumors 65816

2. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Man, first color bleeding now dirty screens. Mine is being shipped to me but thinking about not even opening it and returning it to a store.

3. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

All I got say is where the hell has this guys hands been?

Seriously, get some screen cleaner and wash your hands DUDE!

The residue is being picked up on the screen and transferred to the back of the smart cover from your hands.

If you eat your lunch, a greasy mayo filled 3 decker sandwich and have some fries on the side, and use your ipad with a smart cover, whatever is on your fingers is obviously going to be transferred to the screen by way of your dirty little mitts.

And where does it go when you close the cover, on the back. Lesson? Wash your hands!

4. leenak macrumors 68020

Our hands have natural oils in them so its not totally unexpected. I'd recommend cleaning your screen regularly as well to help reduce the oils and oil transfer.

5. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

This is not (or shouldn't be) news to anyone who had the original iPad Apple Case. Mine left a 'mark' like that on the screen of my original iPad. Just clean the screen!

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I still use a ShaggyMac iPad microfiber cloth in between the SmartCover and the screen. I know it's overkill, but I like having the cloth at the ready to wipe any fingerprints off before/after use, and I won't get the lines that some people are getting. (The lines wipe off, but I'd rather just have a clean screen all the time).

I haven't been terribly impressed with the SmartCover to be honest. Wish there were more case options at launch, but until there are, I guess I'll use it.

7. Gqsmooth1981 macrumors newbie

Too bad

Some people are not going to like what I have to say. I have been on countless boards and I'm sick of people with a lil bleeding light issue, thinking SC is a case(if Apple wanted to make it case they wouldn't have called it Smart Cover, keyword, COVER not CASE but cover). And the worst of all are that people complain about the dust that accumulate and small amount gets on the screen. That's what happens when you use something, it gets dirty. Complaining about the dust/lint/hair that might be stuck to the microfiber and a small amt trans over to the screen. If you don't want your SC and iPad 2 100% clean then put it in a room seal it up with duct tape and call it a day. Its like people saying the tires on my car is wearing out... Well I guess it is because you drove a lot with it. It's just ridiculous to hear this kind of idiotic remarks. If you hate it so much then take it back and get your money back and not complaining about the quality o the SC. In s perfect utopiaan world may not get the SC dirty but we are far from it. For what it'd worth SC was an awesome idea and I can't people can't even appreciate art both the iPad 2 and SC are considered state of the art. I've never seem a better match then the iPad 2 and the SC. Appreciate what you have and take it for what it's worth. If SC was a bad idea then why are the 3rd party companies trying to mimic the SC. It's a great idea. I feel it is part of the device unlike the Apple case for the original.

Sorry ladies an gents, I had to get that off my chest, it's really ridiculous.

8. Gqsmooth1981 macrumors newbie

Since when have every electronic be flawless? NONE? In the industry, if your device works 90% of the times then it's considered a GOOD device. Don't just listen to people complaining about that, the only time you can really see a bleed is if you are looking for it or your sitting in a pitch dark room. How often do you sit in a room with the lights off? I know I don't...try the device out and see if it fits your life, if not then take advatange of the return policy. I bought the original iPad and had it for 3 months and I thought it was awesome and then the iPad 2 came out and I purchased it but I was on the fence about if I want to keep it or not...guess what? I'm trying on it right one.

Also I purchased my iPad from Apple.com on launch day and I never had any wifi issues or bleeding of the screen. What annoyed me was that some idiot added a feature where you could
    Undo your typing by shaking it. I threw my Pad on my bed and it popped up, ever seen it with the original. Googled it and found out they did that on purpose and I was not wanting to call tech support and waste a whole afternoon trying to fix it. I didn't know that was a function put there but for what, I don't know.

9. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

10. TheXxbeastxx420 macrumors newbie

Clean your screen before putting your smart cover on

Clean your screen before putting your smartcover on and maybe it won't pick up so much oil

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

An electronic device in this class should be flawless hardware wise. That you have been trained to accept less by Apple and other idiots here is just wrong.

Will you device work flawlessly overtime. Perhaps not. That's why you have a warranty.

Can the OS affect functionality, sure. Its gets better just not fast enough

Will time cause the device to become imperfect in different ways.... sure thats expected.

12. glen e, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

glen e macrumors 68030

People expect things to not get dirty?

That's the fault of the product?

Use a stylus or clean your s reen daily with a towel and no screen oil

Clean the interior cover monthly with a foaming interior car cleaner and problem solved.

Hard to believe what some blame apple for.....

"my Florsheim loafers are so scuffed after 6 months, I'm calling Florsheim and demanding my money back"

Sheesh.......