Smart Cover leaves marks?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SXR, Jul 17, 2011.

1. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Hey there , folks.

I just got an iPad 2 and so I am in the market for one of those smart covers. I know a lot of you have one. Could someone tell me if the magnets leave any marks on the iPad's side? I've heared some of my friends complsin about this but i havent seen it. Just wondering if this could be the case.

I know the fiber lining leaves marks on the screen, but those can be wiped out very easily , i can imagine.

Thanks.

2. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah sometimes the hinge leaves marks on the aluminium back of the iPad but they can also be easily wiped off.

3. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Aawh. So they can get wiped of as well. Good. I hope the hinge doesnt leave any scratches overtime.

4. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

I really would recommend you to look for something other than a smart cover. Once the novelty wears of it really is flimsy cover that offers little protection. If you drop your iPad with a smart cover on then there is a chance you won't have an iPad anymore. I also find the smart cover to make the iPad a bit annoying to hold. I often remove it when reading.

5. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Agreed. I take the smart cover off when I am reading. Very hard to hold

6. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

You're probably right. I think i just want it because it looks cool. But, i do like the simple way of propping it up to be a typing stand. I bought a dock with the iPad 2 for less money than a stupid smart cover. I think those covers should drop in price.

I think i will still get one eventually, though.

7. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Agreed, I had the smart cover for about a week but took it back and got a refund and bought a Switcheasy Canvas and have had it on since then and I don't think I have seen a case which is better than it so far.

8. OmniChinchilla macrumors newbie

eh

I have a smart cover for my ipad 2 and i never noticed and weird arks from the magnet on the side. I really do like the simplicity of it but I agree, there is no real protection here. basically a nice screen protector. when im traveling i slip my ipad2 (with the smart cover on) into a gel case for the old ipad. it fits well with the smart cover and i got it for super cheap. My only real problem with the smart cover is that i can only prop it up in landscape mode, which sucks. i wish i can also do it in portrait mode as well. Am I missing something here?

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The magnets don't leave a mark, but you can get some dust lines that match the folds. Not a big deal as they wipe off easily. I find that the SC makes it easier to hold; I fold it back into a triangle, like I would to use as a stand, and it's much easier to hold one-handed and it reduces hand fatigue. I got mine on launch day and I still use it every day. No scratches either.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

Nope your not. I tried portrait mode standing and it fell flat on it's face and left a nice scratch. But it's barely noticeable.

11. ethics101 macrumors regular

I use the smart cover and a speck back shield. There's a magnetic strip on the back that holds it in place for reading. Highly recommend looking into it

12. urkel macrumors 68030

I used to swear by portfolio cases, but I reluctantly bought a smart cover and now my perspective has changed.

Yes, the back of the iPad gets scuffed if you use it bare, and yes the smart cover leaves some scratches. But the iPad build quality is insanely good so any of these things are merely blemishes that don't affect the devices performance. So, to me, the comfort and convenience of having a thinner, lightweight, easier to hold device far outweigh aesthetics.

13. Zcott macrumors 68020

Smart cover and a sleeve for taking it out of the house. Works great.

14. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Smartcover and matching color Zagg LeatherSkin offers pretty decent scratch protection (although admittedly, not too much drop-protection), and looks great...(I have the light blue SC with light blue LeatherSkin and it looks really nice)...the LeatherSkin protects the back and also provides a really nice grip for the back...feels like Leather as well...My iPad2 fits nicely into the Verizon leather magnetic sleeve that was offered on their website for $4.99...great combo for traveling
    :)

15. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I just use a Bodyguardz film for the back. It's like it's not even there.

16. SXR thread starter macrumors 6502a

SXR

Ip think this is what i am going to do. Use the smart cover to basically prop the ipad up for typing etc and the regular case for protection. I need to get some sort of gel sleeve.