iPad mini Smart Cover not attaching where it should? Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mariotr87, Nov 19, 2013.

1. mariotr87 macrumors regular

Hi there,

I noticed that the smart cover doesn't "stick" to the screen properly. It's my first smart cover, so I'm not sure whether there is an issue with my mini, with my smart cover, or if it's normal. Basically I have to slightly correct the position manually to have it stuck to the screen. Anyway, a pic will show this better.
    I wonder whether it could be due to the difference in thickness between the iPad Mini and the Retina Mini, since they share the same covers.

[​IMG]

Notice that it's perfectly aligned with the iPad though, it's just separated from the screen in the middle.

2. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

Mine doesn't do that. It lays perfectly flat. I'd consider exchanging yours.

3. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Known issue. There are other threads with complaints about new smart covers not laying perfectly flat. I assume it will resolve over time. I don't worry about it, as it still protects the screen. It doesn't STICK to the screen. It just doesn't lie flat for some reason. There is no magnet to stick it to the screen (just the side) and then it folds over. It has something to do with the fold. Maybe when it loosens up over time it will lie flat.

4. mariotr87 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot to both of you :)

So can we say, at least, that it's not an issue with the iPad magnets? But an issue with the smart cover.

Thanks again.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If there isn't a magnet to hold it to the screen, how does it stay closed and more importantly, hope does the iPad know when to wake up?

6. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I switch between the smart case and smart cover, in both instances I tend to put it screen down hoping that the weight of the iPad will kind of break in the cover overtime.

7. mariotr87 thread starter macrumors regular

It does have a magnet to wake it up, but only at the edge of the smart cover. That's not enough to keep it stuck to the screen.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It was on my iPad 2; Apple should have used a slightly stronger magnet. I think it will get better the more you use the cover, the "hinges" between the panels will get worn in and less stiff.

9. Nee412 macrumors 6502

Happened with my iPad mini Smart Cover, it flattens eventually. They're just a bit stiff when brand new.

10. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Do the new smart covers work well with the Air? I thought I read somewhere that they didn't magnetize well.

11. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

So what's the consensus of the new covers? Do they work well?