Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Hi there,

I noticed that the smart cover doesn't "stick" to the screen properly. It's my first smart cover, so I'm not sure whether there is an issue with my mini, with my smart cover, or if it's normal. Basically I have to slightly correct the position manually to have it stuck to the screen. Anyway, a pic will show this better.
I wonder whether it could be due to the difference in thickness between the iPad Mini and the Retina Mini, since they share the same covers.

Photo%2019-11-2013%2020%2046%2002.jpg

Notice that it's perfectly aligned with the iPad though, it's just separated from the screen in the middle.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
Mine doesn't do that. It lays perfectly flat. I'd consider exchanging yours.

Comment

caesarp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
Hi there,

I noticed that the smart cover doesn't "stick" to the screen properly. It's my first smart cover, so I'm not sure whether there is an issue with my mini, with my smart cover, or if it's normal. Basically I have to slightly correct the position manually to have it stuck to the screen. Anyway, a pic will show this better.
I wonder whether it could be due to the difference in thickness between the iPad Mini and the Retina Mini, since they share the same covers.

Notice that it's perfectly aligned with the iPad though, it's just separated from the screen in the middle.

Known issue. There are other threads with complaints about new smart covers not laying perfectly flat. I assume it will resolve over time. I don't worry about it, as it still protects the screen. It doesn't STICK to the screen. It just doesn't lie flat for some reason. There is no magnet to stick it to the screen (just the side) and then it folds over. It has something to do with the fold. Maybe when it loosens up over time it will lie flat.

Comment

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Thanks a lot to both of you :)

So can we say, at least, that it's not an issue with the iPad magnets? But an issue with the smart cover.

Thanks again.

Comment

darngooddesign

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Known issue. There are other threads with complaints about new smart covers not laying perfectly flat. I assume it will resolve over time. I don't worry about it, as it still protects the screen. It doesn't STICK to the screen. It just doesn't lie flat for some reason. There is no magnet to stick it to the screen (just the side) and then it folds over. It has something to do with the fold. Maybe when it loosens up over time it will lie flat.

If there isn't a magnet to hold it to the screen, how does it stay closed and more importantly, hope does the iPad know when to wake up?

Comment

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I switch between the smart case and smart cover, in both instances I tend to put it screen down hoping that the weight of the iPad will kind of break in the cover overtime.

Comment

mariotr87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
If there isn't a magnet to hold it to the screen, how does it stay closed and more importantly, hope does the iPad know when to wake up?

It does have a magnet to wake it up, but only at the edge of the smart cover. That's not enough to keep it stuck to the screen.

Comment

darngooddesign

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It does have a magnet to wake it up, but only at the edge of the smart cover. That's not enough to keep it stuck to the screen.

It was on my iPad 2; Apple should have used a slightly stronger magnet. I think it will get better the more you use the cover, the "hinges" between the panels will get worn in and less stiff.

Comment

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Do the new smart covers work well with the Air? I thought I read somewhere that they didn't magnetize well.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.