iPad Smart Cover not centered

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Phoneinfo, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Phoneinfo, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

Phoneinfo macrumors newbie

Is anyone have a problem with their Smart Cover not snapping on centered where it's flush along the edges at the top and bottom of the ipad air? Mine is showing the metal at the bottom but the top edge the cover is hanging off the top. I tried sliding it down to make it even at the bottom and it won't work.

Curious is I have a bad cover or if this is how they are now.

Thanks

2. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Just FYI - your case is not "flush" with the edge of your iPad - not having surfaces in the same plane; not even. If it were not "plush" then that implies it is not being luxurious on your iPad.

3. Phoneinfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Edited. Now is anyone else having this problem?

4. Nickash28 macrumors member

Yes. Mine hangs over top, bottom bezel shows @ 1mm. Thinking maybe "hinge" will sag after I break it in and it'll be perfect... dunno

5. billy12 macrumors member

Mine does the same thing.

6. Nickash28 macrumors member

Spent 15 minutes trying my "defective" cover and a new cover from stock on multiple demo ipad airs at the apple store yesterday. I had a defective cover. Unfortunately they couldn't trade me the one that we used bc I bought mine at best buy. Could've saved me a trip.

My advice, if u have this issue keep returning until it is fixed. U rnt crazy, the quality control is subpar on the air smart covers.

7. webworks415 macrumors 6502

Damn, my black Smart Cover is the same. It locks on a bit too high. Gonna go back to Best Buy

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

umm, I though that if it was defective it could be replaced for free at an apple store, like with other accessories like ear pods.

9. webworks415 macrumors 6502

10. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Mine locks on a little too high too.

It's not a big deal, but it is a little annoying!

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

That only applies to accessories bundled with hardware which falls under the same warranty as the hardware. The Smart Cover is sold separately and would have to be returned or exchanged at the retailer it was purchased from.

12. GeorgieS macrumors newbie

I went back to Best Buy with my iPad air and black smart cover which has the issue. I tested a new black smart cover and a new blue one, and they both had the same problem. I'm going to pretend like it is a built-in feature which has created a little lip at the top to open the cover more easily. What is the alternative? Take the iPad back for one with the same issue, or that potentially has a bad pixel? I'm guessing it's a manufacturing issue with the covers and that only a small number of OCD people notice it.

13. webworks415 macrumors 6502

Exactly, I thought of this myself....I can be OCD (which I tend to be at times lol) and return the iPad entirely. It's not a huge deal but sometimes small things like this can get on my nerves. I might return the Smartcover and see if that's the issue. But you always run the risk of getting another iPad that has other defects.

14. GeorgieS macrumors newbie

My sickness got the best of me. I returned the iPad air and the cover works perfectly on the new iPad. It's definitely an issue with the iPad itself and not the cover. I had to convince the guys at best buy by trying my cover on their floor model (which worked). A few blemishes on the back of the iPad, but only noticeable to a nut like me. The screen is perfect and the case fits! Relieved!

15. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Not sure trading a slightly mis-aligned smart cover for an iPad with marks on it is ideal :/

16. webworks415 macrumors 6502

I went and did the same. Brought both my cover and iPad to the Apple store, tested the cover on the floor models and it fit fine. When they saw how the cover fit mine, they gave me a replacement iPad with no hassle. Fits perfectly now, and this iPad Air is virtually flawless.