iPad Smart Cover or Smart Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AngusW, Nov 10, 2014.

1. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

I'm looking at picking up a cover for my iPad Air 2 and debating between either the smart cover or the smart case. I know the case is a full shell of sorts but are there any benefits to that over the smart cover? The only one I can think of is that the case wont come off as easily as the cover does. Are there any others?

2. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

I ended up getting the smart case because I am very particular about getting the back of my iPad's scratched. I was hesitant at first because of the thin factor of the Air 2, but I got the Olive Brown smart case and it doesn't add much bulk at all. Many have chosen the smart cover with a back skin or shell as an option as well. While it is expensive, I'm very happy with the Smart Case.

3. AngusW thread starter macrumors 6502

AngusW

So the only big difference then is that does protect the back as well and nothing more?

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

The Smart Case is made of leather, whereas the Smart Cover is made of Polyurethane I believe.

I was hesitant with the smart case, but I actually love it. But may pick up a smart cover as well, cause some tasks I do, I need to get access to the lighting port for external accessories, and with the smart cover, pretty much the charger is the only thing that fits. (My mag stripe reader won't fit with the smart case on).

5. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I don't like cases, too bulky and I like to see the design of my Apple things. So I use a combination of smart covers when I don't need external keyboard, and when I do I use ZAGG on iPad4 and Logitech on iPad Air, they don't cover the back but give excellent protection to the screen.

I have STM bags for both, and can slip either keyboard or Smart Cover into the back pocket.

I don't scratch the backs.

6. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The biggest points to decide on are these:

Do you want a cover that can be removed easily while the back maintains its protection?

-and-

Do you mind having a lump of material in your left hand every time you use the iPad?

If the answers are 'yes' then you want a Smart Cover combined with a back shell like the KHOMO (hard) or Kayscase (soft) photos above.

If the answers are 'no' then you can get the Smart Case.

Most of us a) don't want the cover in the way in our left palms when we are using the iPad for more than a few minutes and b) enjoy the easy on/off protection of the magnetic Smart Cover while c) always having something on the back to prevent scratching. So, for us, the Smart Cover from Apple along with a back shell from someone else is the best way to go.

Typical use is the iPad is in my backpack rattling around but fully protected, I take it out, sit down on the sofa, pull the Smart Cover right off, back shell remains on, I can read without any bunched material in my left hand, set it down on the coffee table without fear of a scratch. When I'm done, just swing the Smart Cover into place, the magnets attach it back on, boom right back in the backpack. Can't do any of that with an attached cover solution like the Smart Case.

BJ

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If u only use the iPad at home and are careful how u handle it then a Smart Cover is all u need. If u take it with u on the go then a case or a sleeve is recommended.

Some people however don't feel comfortable using the iPad naked since its a bit slippery.

8. AngusW thread starter macrumors 6502

AngusW

After reading the reviews I think I'll just keep it in the slip case I've got for now and wait for the good stuff to be released.