Smart Cover Really Does Protect The Screen

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by iphone joe, Mar 26, 2011.

1. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

Here's what happened. In my bedroom I have an old fashioned tv, you know the big ones that weigh a ton. I had my brand new iPad 2 on top when all of a sudden while I was moving something it crashed into the tv making the tv fall directly onto my iPad. My heart stopped when I saw that heavy old crap tv laying on my iPad. I pulled it out and checked it and it had 0 damage. My smart cover however has a big dent right in the front, can you imagine if it wasn't for that beautiful cover my entire device would have been destroyed.

I notice no damage but I am going to exchange it when my local Target gets a new supply in just to be on the safe side.

I guess the smart cover really protects the screen from such freak accidents.

2. ovrlrd, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

The Smart Cover definitely helped in that situation, but the main reason the screen survived is due to the thinner glass. By using thinner glass it can bend quite a lot before it breaks. Essentially it can take quite a lot of pressure. If that was on iPad 1 it probably would have cracked, even with the official Apple case.

Main thing the Smart Cover protects against is scratches.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/25/ipad-2-glass-bend/

3. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Let me get this right.

A large and very heavy CRT Television dropped directly down onto your iPad2, and due to the 1mm thick fabric cover, your iPad2 was protected and did not incur any damage.

Magical!

4. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

You should make a video and send it to steve jobs he will put it on the apple site to show how MAGICAL the smart covers are.:D

5. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

How high of a fall was it I can't see a tv falling on an iPad and it not getting the screen smashed.

6. justanfyi macrumors member

Damn what color was the smart cover I just tried it with mine and my I pad didn't break but now my TV is ruined from the magnets and all the color ran to one side. I used the black leather one

7. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

You are what's wrong with Americans, you plan on returning an iPad, possibly damaged, by YOUR neglect, and then some unlucky soul will end up buying it unaware it's possibly damaged.........slimy......man up .........

8. lionqueen macrumors 6502

A. They dont resell returns. No one is going to get his old ipad.
    B. Nice xenophobia. There are good and bad people in all cultures and all countries, I hardly think returning an item damaged by your own neglect is a purely American thing... Besides, most people I know ( and I'm American) wouldnt think of returning it after they caused it to be damaged.

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

10. jxr0124 macrumors newbie

Target most certainly does sell returns...I bought a opened box return ipad 1 from Target last year at a 15% discount. Now that is the chance you take when you buy an opened box item from a store but I looked it over really good in the store and powered it up. Since there was no visible physical damage and it powered up I figured I was in good shape and if anything went wrong it was still under Apple's one year warranty.

11. MrMac'n'Cheese macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

News flash Roger, I'm American..........people like him make us look bad.....some places like BB do sell open box iPads discounted..........no need to get your feathers ruffled unless you feel like being slimy or a need to man up apply to you.......no response needed:cool:

12. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I never said you weren't American. And I'll reply where and when I like, thanks :)

PS-as for a need to 'man up' (lol. What are you, 15?) you're wrong there as well, as I'm female ;)

13. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

I think nationality is not really the issue here. Exchanging something because you may have damaged it is, I completely agree, slimy. Very. Take some ownership and responsibility for your actions and mistakes.

Plus, the whole premise of your thread was that the Smart Cover protected the screen... So stand by that. If what you wrote is true then there's no need to return it.

Just my $0.02

m&c