Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Has anyone had any experience with Apple replacing smart covers? Mine is showing signs of wear and it isn't that old.

Last edited:

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
The smart cover on my wife's iPad kept popping off when the iPad was propped up. We took it into the Apple Store and they replaced it under warranty with no questions asked.

Not exactly the same issue, but they are covered under warranty.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
The smart cover on my wife's iPad kept popping off when the iPad was propped up. We took it into the Apple Store and they replaced it under warranty with no questions asked.

Do you know if it was under some warranty from the iPad cover itself, or was it under the actual iPad warranty?

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla

SimonBS

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2009
I had the same issues with the Smart Cover and found it sad that it actually started to scratch my iPad. It did protect the front - no scratches at all - but the left side of the iPad started to get scratches.
I called Apple and they offered to replace my Smart Cover. I kindly rejected the offer as I really just wanted to point out the flaw with the cover in hope that they might take it into consideration if they ever chose to redesign it.

It seems that there have been several people contacting them about the issue as they have released the Smart Case which not only protects the back but is also free of metal.
The Smart Cover for the iPad Mini is not only a shrunk version of the original cover. It is covered with some soft material on the metal where it attaches to the iPad. Actually, I am using the Smart Cover for the iPad Mini right now while waiting for my cover from Kavaj and it is really great.

So, it's a problem that Apple is aware of and I bet they will offer you a replacement :)

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

I'm having this issue also. Did the new cover have better hold or are they all kind of weak magnets. I find mine continues to pop off way too easily.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
I had the same issues with the Smart Cover and found it sad that it actually started to scratch my iPad. It did protect the front - no scratches at all - but the left side of the iPad started to get scratches.
I called Apple and they offered to replace my Smart Cover. I kindly rejected the offer as I really just wanted to point out the flaw with the cover in hope that they might take it into consideration if they ever chose to redesign it.

It seems that there have been several people contacting them about the issue as they have released the Smart Case which not only protects the back but is also free of metal.
The Smart Cover for the iPad Mini is not only a shrunk version of the original cover. It is covered with some soft material on the metal where it attaches to the iPad. Actually, I am using the Smart Cover for the iPad Mini right now while waiting for my cover from Kavaj and it is really great.

So, it's a problem that Apple is aware of and I bet they will offer you a replacement :)

Great to hear. I have an appointment today for my iPad, so I will see what they can do for my smart cover :)

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I seen a thread on here talking about how it was scratching the side of their iPad. So, they perfectly cut tape to go on the strip that snaps to the iPad. I ended up doing that the day I bought my iPad. But I didn't perfectly cut it, I just put take on the side of my iPad. Not noticeable.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
Just got home from Apple. I showed them my cover and they replaced it. Unfortunately they did not allow a color change, but at least I got a new one.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm having this issue also. Did the new cover have better hold or are they all kind of weak magnets. I find mine continues to pop off way too easily.

The new one was much better. I actually thing the metal spine bends over time and this changes the angle of the magnets and causes them to not hold as snugly as when new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.