Smart cover rubbish?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thunderbunny, Jul 26, 2011.

1. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

how have people found the durability of the smart cover (leather). Got mine on UK launch day and it's starting to come to pieces.

And also finding when the cover is wrapped across the back it's putting the iPad to sleep as if it were closed quite often. Not sure if this is hardware or due to the latest iOS5 beta. Anyone else had this?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

My launch day poly one is fine and it doesn't put it to sleep.

3. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I've had a leather and a poly since around May and both are just like new. I'd take your leather one to an Apple Store to see if they'll help you.

4. xraytech macrumors 68020

Interesting, I want to say you got a Knock-Off Smart cover but since you've stated you had it since launch, it probably is not. I've read stories of the Knock-Offs causing what you've described.

It's not a software issue. The fault is with your Smart Cover.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Well, if it didn't happen on iOS4, then its obviously the beta.

6. richardmu macrumors 6502a

I've had the red leather cover since release and it looks and works as new.

I treated it a couple of times with neutral leather protector and generally look after it and my iPad which has a Targus back cover that works pretty well with the smart cover. Not a perfect fit by any means but it works better than I expected.

I still use the old Apple cover from my first iPad when I go out with it to the pub etc. Good protection and more discreet than the smart cover!

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Black leather cover since maybe four weeks post launch. No issues here, or with iOS5 betas.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Have had a black leather since launch with no issues, and just got the wife ga pink poly one a few weeks ago. Both have been perfect.

9. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I wondered how they did the magnetic sleep switch. Is it a reed type thing or not. I wondered if it would sleep from the cover being flipped over the back.

Mine appears to wake itself with movement. I don't remember hitting the power switch. I traded the mag-cover for an Otter Box. Not liking it as much as the one for the original iPad though...

Anyone got that Griffin (I think) Armour case? How is that one?

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Apple replaced my smart cover (red leather) because it started falling apart. In fairness, I believe the cleaning routine had a lot to do with how badly it wore. I would not recommend anyone using leather cleaner - it just saturates too much.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd be very surprised if they used a reed switch.

Hall Effect sensors are the modern way to do this. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor

12. Bloodraw850 macrumors 6502

Bloodraw850

I have the navy blue leather and it's holding up fine

13. junoC macrumors newbie

It seem hard to clean when dirt, or dust flip on screen?!

14. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Apple should replace that for you, my Black Leather one is holding up great and has very few scuffs for what is goes through.

15. TheAppleDragon macrumors member

I got a poly case about one or two weeks after my iPad 2 arrived, and it is still holding up great!

No issues with it going into sleep mode... perhaps it's an accidental hardware issue with the magnet system? :)