Smart Cover scratching iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ThatsMeRight, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

To anyone using the Smart Cover with his or her iPad: has the Smart Cover damaged your iPad (like [light] scratches)?

I will most likely upgrade to the iPad 3 (as long as it is a good upgrade) from my iPad 1, so now I'm wondering if I should buy the Smart Cover. It's got real functionality and I really like the fact that the iPad isn't "wrapped up" in a case. I'm assuming the iPad 3 will still have some support for the Smart Cover.

In fact, I only put my iPad in [Apple's original] case, when I'm taking it abroad or somewhere far from home.

Three questions:
    - Does the Smart Cover scratch your iPad (left side)?
    - How protective is the Smart Cover?
    - How useful has the Smart Cover turned out to be for you? Do you still use it as you planned to use it? Or is it more as a "gimmick"?

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

1) Some people have had scratching issues.
    2) The smart cover is only protective of the display when its closed (Not very protected when open, and the back is vulnerable)
    3) Its a useful stand and keyboard holder. Its not a gimmick, just a limited display.

You have to get a form of back cover.

I don't own an iPad.

3. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

No problems and I use it as a stand all the time. Def not a gimmick.

I have no problems with scratches, not even on the back and I dont use a case besides the cover. The iPad itself seems very durable from scratches on the back and I'm not even being careful with it..

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The Smart Cover's a fine product.

Mine's as good as new after lots of use traveling.

Like anything else I'm sure it could be abused & possibly scratch ones iPad...

In the hands of someone careless :)