Smart Cover stains my screen protector?

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
I tried looking for another thread regarding this issue but couldn't seem to find one that talked about the Smart Cover's affect on screen protectors rather than the screen itself. It is my understanding that you can wipe away the three vertical "lines" that are left behind by using a smart cover. However, you can not wipe these lines away on a screen protector. At least, not a Zagg InvisibleShield. I've had to replace my InvisibleShield 3 times over the past year due to permanent stains from my black leather Smart Cover.

My question is to people who don't use screen protectors: after a year of the iPad 2, are the vertical lines still able to be wiped away? If so then I won't even bother with a screen protector on the new iPad. It just now hit me that it's kind of silly to even use a screen protector with a Smart Cover anyway. However, if the stains are permanent, that's another story.

Anyone? I find it odd that this issue isn't discussed far more often.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I never had an issue getting the lines off the screen. Actually, after reading a tip on LifeHacker, I started using the iPad Smart Cover itself to remove those lines. :p

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I tried looking for another thread regarding this issue but couldn't seem to find one that talked about the Smart Cover's affect on screen protectors rather than the screen itself. It is my understanding that you can wipe away the three vertical "lines" that are left behind by using a smart cover. However, you can not wipe these lines away on a screen protector. At least, not a Zagg InvisibleShield. I've had to replace my InvisibleShield 3 times over the past year due to permanent stains from my black leather Smart Cover.

My question is to people who don't use screen protectors: after a year of the iPad 2, are the vertical lines still able to be wiped away? If so then I won't even bother with a screen protector on the new iPad. It just now hit me that it's kind of silly to even use a screen protector with a Smart Cover anyway. However, if the stains are permanent, that's another story.

Anyone? I find it odd that this issue isn't discussed far more often.
PowerSupport HD Anti-Glare w/ Black Leather Smart Cover, no staining.

Get a quality screen protector this time around.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
You clearly have no clue what products Zagg puts out.
I'm quite sure. I had a ZAGG on my old WinMo phone, was fantastic and protected it for the life of the phone.

Had a ZAGG LEATHERskin on my iPad 2, superb quality.

But if their screen protector is porous enough to absorb black residue from the smart cover, when my PowerSupport is not, then I would consider it inferior.