Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
Just got an inexpensive eBay TPU back cover to use with my tan leather Smart Cover today, and I'm really impressed with the look, and the improvement in handling and grip. The TPU back fits perfectly, as do all the cutouts. I wasn't a big fan of continuing to use the Smart Cover, until I added the TPU back. Here's the back cover I bought, and some pics below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-SMART-COV...ultDomain_0&hash=item33669cc6a2#ht_2855wt_972

Attachments

• IMG_1840.jpg
    IMG_1840.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1843.jpg
    IMG_1843.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 213

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
if this is the one on eBay, the pictures look great but the product sucks.

sharp edges, loose surrounding plastic lip that falls slips easily off, feels odd to hold, generally very bad quality, shoddy manufacturing. You get what you pay for with these kind of things. This is a floppy skin, I'm going to look fora harder typ of case, like the feather that will not pop out while using.

this case completely ruined my wrapsol ultra clean screen protected, will have to get a replacement as lip of this skin peeled it at the edges.

Peice of garbage, which is where it is going!

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I just got mine today and for $12 it's great. Adds a little weight to the iPad and it's not perefect but for this price I will not complain.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2008
I'm sure that a hard-type case might be better in some ways, but there aren't many available right now that work with the Smart Cover. The TPU case that I received is well-made and not shoddy. It looks good and feels good, and for the money, it's a good buy.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
+ 1

Got the same case today and like it a lot too.....

I'm sure that a hard-type case might be better in some ways, but there aren't many available right now that work with the Smart Cover. The TPU case that I received is well-made and not shoddy. It looks good and feels good, and for the money, it's a good buy.

rondz

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Harbor Bay Isle
I was suppose to post this in another thread about the TPU Smart Cover case from eBay but since this is the most current one. Here it is, I have the grey smart cover with the grey TPU smart cover case. For the price, it does exactly what it is made to do, compatibility with the smart cover and protection.

iPad2TPUSmartCover004.jpg

iPad2TPUSmartCover002.jpg

iPad2TPUSmartCover008.jpg

iPad2TPUSmartCover007.jpg

iPad2TPUSmartCover006.jpg

Until my AViiQ case comes in, this will do! :)

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I really like the clear one thats available on eBay. Does anyone know if it peels up a screen protector? Particularly Power Support.

rondz

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Harbor Bay Isle
I really like the clear one thats available on eBay. Does anyone know if it peels up a screen protector? Particularly Power Support.

It started to bend the right side of my screen protector, luckily I had an extra since I got generic anti-glare ones on eBay, just be sure to install the right side first (making sure the top of the case sits on top of the screen protector) and apply the rest of the case on it goes on flawlessly without messin up the screen protector, mine has it on, you can see in the pics it doesn't bubble on the sides.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
The ebay and mall kiosks TPU's I've bought do not play well with my ghost armor screen protectors.

Think for now I'm going with the SC and GA, and haul it around in my leather targus tote.

BTW, sharp lookin' setup you got there, Rondz.

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I was suppose to post this in another thread about the TPU Smart Cover case from eBay but since this is the most current one. Here it is, I have the grey smart cover with the grey TPU smart cover case. For the price, it does exactly what it is made to do, compatibility with the smart cover and protection.

iPad2TPUSmartCover004.jpg

iPad2TPUSmartCover002.jpg

iPad2TPUSmartCover008.jpg

iPad2TPUSmartCover007.jpg

iPad2TPUSmartCover006.jpg

Until my AViiQ case comes in, this will do! :)

Rondz, can you provide the link where you got your case from? I got the black Tpu case but I think I want the grey to match my grey smart cover. That or a clear. I got mine from cimo technology. He has a grey smart cover but his pics look like it's a dark gray, not light like yours.

Jhutchings

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Rondz, can you provide the link where you got your case from? I got the black Tpu case but I think I want the grey to match my grey smart cover. That or a clear. I got mine from cimo technology. He has a grey smart cover but his pics look like it's a dark gray, not light like yours.

I have the grey from cimo technology and the grey smart cover, they match really well. From the pictures posted of the grey case on this thread it looks to match perftectly with my color. Looking at my case and smart cover now and the grey on both looks to be a really close match.

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I have the grey from cimo technology and the grey smart cover, they match really well. From the pictures posted of the grey case on this thread it looks to match perftectly with my color. Looking at my case and smart cover now and the grey on both looks to be a really close match.

Great. I'll just order the grey then from Cimo since I've bought from them before. Thanks guys for the responses.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Please describe the back and edge texture of this case. I want grippy texture and no gloss. Is it slippery at all, rubbery? Looks like the front lip is gloss in pix here, which is ok. It's the back and edges I want matte and grip on. The ebay pix of the black one shows matte on the front edge but buyers are getting glossy front edge.
My first choice would be black but I'd go to another color for the matte, grippy back texture. It looks a little thick, too, does it add measurable thickness? I have another TPU case that looks thinner.
thanks.

Last edited:

Jhutchings

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
Please describe the back and edge texture of this case. I want grippy texture and no gloss. Is it slippery at all, rubbery? Looks like the front lip is gloss in pix here, which is ok. It's the back and edges I want matte and grip on. The ebay pix of the black one shows matte on the front edge but buyers are getting glossy front edge.
My first choice would be black but I'd go to another color for the matte, grippy back texture. It looks a little thick, too, does it add measurable thickness? I have another TPU case that looks thinner.
thanks.

The back of the grey one is matte finish. The front is gloss and you do get a nice grip on the back. I would say it does add some thickness to the iPad but for me the combination of the grey smart cover and grey case is really nice. I just received my Portenzo case today and really it is very nice. But with the TPU case and smart cover I don't have to worry about hurting anything. For me I really like this combination. I don't think it adds to much bulk.

rondz

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Harbor Bay Isle

The seller on eBay is futureonestop. You have to tell him that you'd like grey for your case color, upon request it will be done. As for the back finish it's matte and has a nice grip feeling and adds some thickness but feels safe that way. I forgot to mention I am also using a generic invisible shield under it too, so it's compatible with some ghost armor/invisible shield protectors too.

Last edited:

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I actually like the Gray/Gray as well (I have a gray smart cover). Although I ordered Clear. For $15, I'll order another one..lol

sparkstsa

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Here are some quick pictures of the clear version. I have the black one too.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 23, 1 01 59 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 23, 1 01 59 PM.jpg
    609.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo Apr 23, 1 02 43 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 23, 1 02 43 PM.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Photo Apr 23, 1 02 53 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 23, 1 02 53 PM.jpg
    669.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Photo Apr 23, 1 05 12 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 23, 1 05 12 PM.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 167

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I got my TPU case. Only complaint is on the dock connector end, it's weak and the ipad falls out of the case. Anyone else experience this? if not, i'll see if they send me another one. I don't know how else to explain it.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I got my TPU case. Only complaint is on the dock connector end, it's weak and the ipad falls out of the case. Anyone else experience this? if not, i'll see if they send me another one. I don't know how else to explain it.

I don't think there is much that can be done about that because of how much material needs to be cut out to accommodate the dock connector. You get the same kind of problem, albeit to a lesser extent, around the volume rocker, too.

ladysman

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I don't think there is much that can be done about that because of how much material needs to be cut out to accommodate the dock connector. You get the same kind of problem, albeit to a lesser extent, around the volume rocker, too.

OK, so i'm not the only one. Mine is fine around the volume side. just dock connector area. Other than that, it does exactly what it's suppose to for me. I wanted to protect it a little from my kids..lol

ninerfan

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
I also got the inexpensive one from eBay. Great fit and it makes handling a lot more comfortable. What I hate and am so disappointed in is the Smart Cover. :(. Feels cheaper than the $13.99 eBay backing. Going to return it and look for another option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.