Smart Cover Warranty?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cambookpro, Apr 21, 2012.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hi,
    I have a smart cover coming up to a year old (PRODUCT RED one). However, it seems to be separating at the edges and is starting to look really tatty.

These aren't cheap either, for the sake of £20 I'd buy a new one, but these cost £60.

Are these covered by Apple Care, and if so, would they replace it? It doesn't frequently travel with me and I treat all my stuff well, except this case seems to hate me.

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Just go into an AppleStore. I'm sure they will replace it for you.

3. urkel macrumors 68030

These are NOT covered under AppleCare and a number of people have said it was declared "wear and tear" so Apple refused to replace it. That doesn't mean it can't be replaced, but you need to find the right genius to bend the policies for you.

It's a shame because have you ever bought a leather product that only lasted a year? Considering we paid a ridiculous amount of money for what they are (cardboard, magnets and leather) then it's a shame they wear down so quick. Especially compared to the vinyl ones which still operate fine. I have the same problem with mine and was rejected but I have to go in to Apple to buy two AppleCare+ packs so I'll try to use that as leverage for a replacement.

4. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Ok, thanks for your help.

Needless to say, using an excuse of wear and tear for a case that is practically falling apart is very poor. Hope you get yours (and I get mine!) resolved.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Must be getting a good bit of wear as I have an original that I got on intro day for the first iPad and it has been used for three years and still looks like new. It is a black one so maybe the red ones are hot as good.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The smart cover was never available for the first iPad.

The first iPad came out 2 years ago, not 3.

Red, Black, silver, gold.. it doesn't make a difference.

I can only assume you're talking about a 3rd party case for the original iPad, in which case it isn't comparable because it's a different product.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I asked her and it was purchased from the Apple store for the iPad 2. My error but after daily use, it still looks as new.

Each take care of our "stuff" differently, if this red one has this much wear where it is coming apart, it can not be like mine.

8. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

:rolleyes:

Still can only be 1 and a bit years old, max.

9. eagleglen, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I bought a red smart cover on the day the iPad 2 launched and it looked like cr*p within two weeks. I really thought it looked sharp, so I got it replaced. Doing so wasn't difficult since I was still within the refund period and could have just asked for my money back. Since then haven't used it much it in effort to keep it nice for the times I do. I've since gotten a vinyl light blue cover which use it much more frequeltly, and it still looks like new. I still use them both today with the new iPad in conjunction with a back-cover shield.

I think no matter how you care for the bright-leather-colored smart covers, they will wear quickly and not practical for daily use.

10. decon1 macrumors member

My Navy Leather one is 2 weeks old and showing wear on the top and bottom center edges where the cover folds.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

Personally, I'd take a $39 dark gray vinyl as a replacement for my $80 leather. It seems the vinyl ones hold up much better than the leather because leather and glue don't really form a great bond. If these were $20 I'd be fine just buying a new one every year but at $80 it's tough to just write off.

12. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Agreeded. The $69 leather covers are worth it.

Remember, you get what you pay for.