Smart devices.. like the Nest Thermostat

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Yixian, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

I've been looking into the Nest thermostat and it struck me that it's taken a while to see mobile and wireless technology applied to currently "dumb" electronics in our houses.

Can anyone think of any other devices like the Nest, not thermostats, but equivalents in their own areas? I know there's a plug socket you can turn on/off with your phone but that's about it o_O

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

The other day there was a story here on MR about a door lock.

However, if what you want is "smart" stuff, and don't mind tinkering, you can do wonders with Arduino.

3. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Door locks were my first thought, too.

Next idea would be toilet flushers/sink faucets. I know we have automated ones in commercial applications, but to my knowledge, they aren't widespread in residential dwellings.

Furthermore, I'd really like a dishwasher, washer, and dryer that allows you to put in your load and close the door, having the machine do the rest of the work (soap, temperature, load size, etc.)

4. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I can't tell you how many times I've pressed the remote thingy to lock my car, then walked up to my home's door and....uh....pressed the remote's button again before remembering that, no, I need to use a KEY here! LOL!!

5. SporkLover macrumors 6502

6. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I made this with really limited knowledge of the arduino. I do have a few programming classes under my belt though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ze7WEOc3vg

Since making this video, I added a webcam feature that sends a pic of the door to Siri.

7. Aeolius macrumors 6502a