Smart DNS and dropping of AirPlay capability

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by daio, Nov 7, 2015.

1. daio macrumors regular

daio

i use a smartDnS service with my Apple TV 4th gen and have two networks at home. Luckily that means that I can have one wifi net as the standard connection to the Internet and the other network with a smartDNS IP address attached.

This works great when I am connected _but_ switching from one network to the other in both directions means that I have to enter long wifi passwords each time! Why can't the device remember these passwords? It can't be because of security as the device remembers my various Apple ID passwords!

Also, when I am on the network connected to the smartDNS, AirPlay is disabled on all of my other devices, regardless whether these devices are also connected to smartDNS or not. This means that multiplayer games also don't work until I switch network AND enter the wifi password again.

This is a nightmare. Anybody else have this issue?

2. Cobb macrumors member

Can't help with your first question, I don't use WLAN for my ATV.
    But I am using a smartDNS service, too but it does not affect the AirPlay feature. I only got an issue a speciffic iOS apps doesn't allow the content to be streamed to your TV. But the reason is the app - as opposed to iOS not offering AirPlay. Other apps do work fine with Airplay.