Smart DNS - split dns

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by byke, Oct 12, 2015.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Hi There,I need some help and am not computer savvy.
    I use Google DNS for most of my computing needs (8.8.8.8 + 8.8.4.4) but sometimes I need to use a different DNS (Smart DNS) to use a specific site.

I have tried keeping the Smart DNS ip as my primary, but find that many sites won't work with it (Pages won't load etc).

But having to go into network each time, and edit Network/Wi-Fi/Advanced/DNS each time I want to log on to this specific site that requires a Smart DNS is some what laborious.

Is there any way to create a list of DNS servers used.
    Where I can specify where each one is used.

So for example,
    8.8.8.8 = Most sites
    87.117.235.100 = 1 or 2 specifically listed sites (Example : Such as macrumors.com and 9to5mac.com)

If anyone has any tips or help it would be greatly appreciated.
    I am not comfortable in terminal, but will gladly give it a go if someone is willing to talk me though it.

Cheers

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Mac OS X has a very powerful feature called location network. You can set up Google DNS as your main location DNS configuration and Smart DNS as your secondary location DNS configuration. All you need is just switch between them, and done.

If you think this is still not so good, then I am sorry but I cannot provide more help. However there should be some tools can intelligently switch DNS based on the domain you want to access, under Mac.