SMART error?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Outrigger, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I did a few search, but just wanted to post this to make sure I got all my bases covered.

My 2011 mac mini with the 500GB HDD currently running 10.9 has been used primarily as a server/repo that's on 24/7. Few weeks ago, I noticed that its on but couldn't not see it in my folder on my other macs. So I have been rebooting it every few days, and yesterday it started happening multiple times a day. I figured maybe its time for a fresh install.

Backed up to TM, then reboot and cmd+R, but got a SMART error upon OS installation screen, and couldn't install. I erased the whole drive and attempted again, but every single time, I got a SMART error hardware failure.

The 5400rpm drive is great for server usage, but its very slow while doing actual tasks, so I think its time to replace it with an EVO 750GB SSD to breath some new life into it.

My main question is, if I replace the drive with the SSD, would I still be able to get to internet recovery with cmd+R? Is the recovery tool built into the firmware and not the HHD? The old drive is already erased. If the internet recovery tool isn't available, how would I go about reinstalling the OS on the new SSD? Thanks all.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your machine is on this list, so yes if you applied the firmware updates when they came out, your machine should have Internet recovery.

The recovery software is actually on a hidden 650MB partition of your hard drive. If that is not present the Mac's firmware can connect to Apple's servers and actually download the recovery console to your machine so you can reinstall.

So pop in your SSD then do a command-option-r (all three keys at once) boot. You will be asked for your wifi password then you will see a spinning globe while the recovery console downloads. Then you will see this screen.

[​IMG]

Start Disk Utility and erase your new SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format then quit Disk Util. Now click Reinstall OS X and wait for the 4.7GB OS to download and install.

3. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Thanks for the tip and confirmation.