Smart Folders showing with extension '.savedSearch' in Sidebar

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by merkava, Jul 21, 2011.

1. merkava macrumors member

Under Finder preferences I have 'show all filename extensions' ticked, this is causing Smart Folders to display with the '.savedSearch' extension.

This didn't happen in Snow Leopard, anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. MacErik macrumors newbie

Yes, very inconvenient, and although I don't have a solution other then turning the "show all filename extensions" option off, I want to mention a related problem.

All My Files does not really seem to index all my files. When I save a pdf from the web into a subfolder of my document folder, it does not show up under all my files (I have the sorting on "Date Last Opened", but really none of the sorting options solves the problem).

The solution for me is to modify the "All My Files" search criteria and letting the search run in "This Mac" instead of "All My Files". Additionally, I choose "Documents" as file type criteria. Now, all the files I am looking for show up and I have basically recreated the very useful "Today", "Yesterday" and "Last week" functionality from Snow Leopard.

3. merkava thread starter macrumors member

Just found out that the 'Today', 'Yesterday' and 'Past Week' searches are located in the Finder.app bundle in System/Library/CoreServices in the 'Canned Searches' Folder.

eg. Past Week.cannedSearch - interestingly they don't show the extension when added to the sidebar.