imac wannabe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
Appleton, WI
Ok so I have these super bright LED lights in our garage that we love. Unfortunately they interfere with the garage door opener. I have a MyQ and the lights block the signal between the door sensor and the hub...basically disabling the system.

If I bought a smart wifi switch for the garage lights could I have them somehow turn off when I arrive and back on when the door is done moving up? If so please recommend a switch and method to do this...thanks!

Paul

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
the OP might consider getting one or two 3 watt led bulbs and leave them on 24/7.
sometimes the energy to run the smart controller is more than the device it controls.
keep it simple?

Comment

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
the OP might consider getting one or two 3 watt led bulbs and leave them on 24/7.
sometimes the energy to run the smart controller is more than the device it controls.
keep it simple?
But they said they love their super bright LEDs. Seems like they are looking for an option that allows them to keep those lights.

Comment

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have a motion detector to my garage lights. I have 6 LED's.
Door opens or closes, the motion triggers the lights. Walk into the garage from the house, motion triggers the lights.
After a certain amount of time that I can't remember, the lights turn off.

Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
Maybe a on/off switch like a Wemo that turns them off when anyone arrives home.

Then a motion detector in the garage that turns them on when sensing motion?

I'm thinking you could handle this in HomeKit

Comment

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
any reconditions for
a bluetooth module and super easy to use iPhone app to act as a door opener

Comment

iGeneo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
any reconditions for
a bluetooth module and super easy to use iPhone app to act as a door opener
iSmartgate works extremely well for me, not bluetooth but rather it is WiFi and uses their app or Apple's HomeKit app

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.