Smart keyboard and navigation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jamesrick80, Apr 2, 2016.

1. jamesrick80, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I have had a major issue when it comes to using the smart keyboard to navigate through iOS and what iOS allows us to do and what it does not allow us to do. My first issue is that we should never have to touch our screen at all when the smart keyboard is attached on a "pro" device. In other words, we should be able to navigate through iOS with just the keyboard arrow keys if necessary and press enter on the apps to gain access to them (we paid quite a bit for this keyboard and deserve these options).

Also, when we are in safari browser. I should be able to completely navigate through a web page and press options without ever having to use my finger. If there are a bunch of tabs on a webpage, I have to literally move my finger to choose that tab option.

There should also be better shortcuts on the keyboard such as a back button and a short cut to make the widget menu pop down. Some of you hate android but I can do all of this on the galaxy tab S2 9.7 inch. With a keyboard on this device, I don't have to ever touch the screen.

Now, my last issue is the need for mouse support. When it comes to productivity, this is a must. I cannot tell you how many times I got frustrated in the microsoft office apps on my ipad pro 12.9 because of the lack of mouse support. This is something else thats supported by android (although the OS can be clunky at times and the lack of updates in comparision to apple).

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

3. jamesrick80 thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

This is marketed as a laptop replacement. Most of us have laptops but we like the easy flow of iOS and its apps. My issues are ways to help improve the overall operating system. I don't think that makes me prefer a laptop, I just need more abilities if this will ever be considered a laptop replacement. Apple's own CEO is who stated this....so we deserve more if this is the case. Remember android is not a laptop yet it can do all I have stated.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

What is the point of this replacing the laptop, if it becomes a laptop?

The iPad Pro is Apple's vision of the future of computing. Sure it isn't for everyone, and can be limiting, but for most tasks that most people do it's great.

Steve Job's said it best: Computers are trucks, and iPads are cars. Some people still need trucks, and they still have a purpose, but most people will only need a car.

5. jamesrick80 thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Once they added the keyboard, I'm sure they wanted it to somewhat become a laptop. Then, why add the keyboard. Otherwise, it will remain just a touchscreen device. If your notion is correct, there should not be a keyboard option. The device is trying to slowly become a laptop or at least have its capabilities by apple placing emphasis on the smart keyboard.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The original iPad had a keyboard dock too.

A physical keyboard is better than a software one when it comes to inputting a lot of text. No one can argue that.

I agree that we should be able to navigate more of the iPad Pro's user interface with the keyboard. Apple themselves have always pointed out the fatigue caused by using a touch screen in a vertical position.

I just don't think 'adding a mouse' is a step in the right direction. :)

7. jamesrick80, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016

jamesrick80 thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

The other option to not adding a mouse is thinking of a way to merge "3D touch" with the smart keyboard and completely giving us full navigation throughout the device. Also, that trackpad thing that comes up in the software keyboard when the device is not attached to a physical keyboard needs to be somehow incorporated into the smart keyboard. But when it comes to being a tablet, the ipad pro is flawless in that aspect. I can't think of a more smoother tablet.

8. off_piste macrumors 6502a

For the life of me I don't understand your thinking. What is so backward about having a pointer show up on the screen when a mouse is connected? It's not like it would cripple your preferred input method, rather, it shares much of the UI characteristics.

9. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

Command+Space to bring up Spotlight, type in the name of the app you want to activate, if necessary, use the arrow keys to highlight the exact app, hit Enter.

Multiple apps open? Command+Tab and now you can use your arrow keys to navigate your opened apps. All the shortcut keys I use on my Mac, I've been using on my iPad 2.

That said, use your device as you’d like. No one is going to arrest you for touching a device that was designed from day one to be….touched. These devices aren't even 10 years old yet. The new rules are evolving.

And replacement doesn’t mean you do the same things the same way. If I replace my car with a motorcycle, I understand that I will have to change how I go about commuting. When (not if) I replace my laptop with a tablet, I understand that I will have to change the way I compute. Hopefully by then Apple will have added the ability to open the same app multiple times so that I can cut and paste between multiple Excel, Word, or other documents.

10. jamesrick80 thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

Why should i have to type in the name of the app? I'm just saying that the process can be simpler. I can easily use the arrow keys with a physical keyboard on an android tablet and highlight the app and press enter. This is how you navigate freely. I just still think you should never have to touch the screen at all with the smart keyboard. Otherwise, why call it the "smart" keyboard if its so "dumb".

A "replacement" should at least be able to perform the same tasks "efficiently" without adding more steps to the process.

11. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Whenever someone starts quoting a products name because it has 'smart' in it to infer that it is dumb for not living up to their expectations ones argument becomes pretty pedantic.

12. jamesrick80 thread starter macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

I don't think so. I was trying to prove a point. This is a forum where we debate things...

13. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

What do you have on your Android tablet, five apps? I haven't touched it in months, but I've got several dozen apps on my Nexus 7, most not on my home screens and if I want to access an app I use a lot without using touch, I used shortcuts, same as I use on my iPad. Arrow keying through a massive amount of apps seems a time waster.

You keep bringing up touching the screen as somehow invalidating a device from being 'Pro'. That's your definition, you have set these terms for yourself only, so you have to come to terms with it or not.