iPad Pro Smart Keyboard and Smart Cover ?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jaybar, Jul 27, 2017.

1. jaybar, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Hi

I am still adjusting to the new larger iPad Pro. I purchased it with the ASK. That adds a fair bit of weight, but it also adds functionality. Not sure how much I will use it, as I never used a keyboard with an iPad until now.

When I don't need to type on the keyboard, can I remove it and safely use the iPad naked? Do I also need the Smart Cover for those times I don't need the keyboard or is that overkill?

If I were to also get the Smart Cover, is there any benefit to the leather one over the cheaper silicone one?

I will rarely take the iPad out of the house, so mobility is not a paramount issue.

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

For the past 12.9 and 9.7 I owned both Smart Keyboard and Smart Cover. The Smart Keyboard was only used sometimes.

For the new 12.9, I skipped on the smart keyboard and just got a cheap Bluetooth Logitech keyboard.

I pretty much prefer the iPad as a tablet, and used it that way most times.

I have the silicone and leather cover - the leather just feels much nicer. The magnet is weaker though (when you fold it), but it still works in both positions well.

If you eventually get the sleeve, the leather slides in much better, while the silicone sticks a bit.

3. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

I very well may add the Smart Cover. Since I am keeping the keyboard, will the leather sleeve work with the keyboard as well?

4. David58117 macrumors 65816

I think it would be too tight. I mean, I'm sure you can force it and stretch the leather, but..I don't think that's a good idea.

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

When I first got the Smart Keyboard I was a bit disappointed at the additional bulk it added compared to my previous Smart Covers. In the end though I don't notice it much and the fact that the keyboard is always there and ready to go at a moments notice really makes the iPad a much more full featured device for me. I end up using it all the time, even if it's only to type a brief reply or email because it comes on and off so easily.

6. Dave245 macrumors 603

Which one is more durable would you say? Is the leather prone to scratching and discolouration over time? Also if the magnet is weaker does it not cause it to detach easier from the iPad?

7. David58117 macrumors 65816

You know when you fold the Smart Cover into a triangle, and how it holds itself? That's the weaker magnet on the leather one.

I mean, it still holds fine, just while the regular Smart Cover is tight, and leather one is maybe half it's strength. I've never had it fall while in use, but I have had to make sure it's holding, before I use it.

The magnet that holds it to the iPad is fine and just as strong as the regular one.

Leather products from Apple have generally been very good. I'm sure it will hold up just as well as prior leather cases by them have. It does feel like higher quality than the regular one.

8. Dave245 macrumors 603

Ok thank you, I'm thinking of either the leather Smart Cover or the other one when I pick up my iPad Pro. I want something that's at least going to last until the next one comes out.

9. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Bingo.
    One thing that I do when I use my 12.9 Pro w/ASK as tablet is to detach the ASK, flip it around, and reattach it so that when I fold it behind the iPad, the outer cover faces outward. I just wish there was another magnet on the inner part that would hold it secure in that position.

If I know that I'm going to just be tapping around playing games and reading, I'll swap out the ASK for the SC.

As for cases and sleeves, I'd encourage people to shop around for 3rd party options. There are so many excellent choices out there, at a fraction of the cost of Apple's leather accessories... some are leather, others aren't.

10. strategicthinke macrumors 6502

strategicthinke