Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem that the Smart Keyboard for the 10.5 iPad Pro is not laying flat on the desk. Once I unfold it there is always a big space between the desk and keyboard. Only afterawhile the space reduces between keyboard and desk and is almost perfect. When I then fold it again and unfold it afterawhile it is back to the bigger space again.

Is this something that is normal and does it get better with time?

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
This is a issue with some of the keyboards. It is a defect. You should get a new keyboard immediately.

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Can anybody confirm this that this is really a defect and not normal?

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Just returned a 12.9 version with the same issue. Keyboard bounced the whole time I was using it and felt so cheap. Guess I should try another one.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
I do have the same issue, but I figured that's how it was supposed to work. Actually, after awhile, t rests pretty well, but with a kind of bend in the middle section of the keyboard (like an arch). It doesn't hamper me from using it at all, but if this is a defect then I'd look for a replacement. Can anybody share a picture of what a regular one should look like?

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I do have the same issue, but I figured that's how it was supposed to work. Actually, after awhile, t rests pretty well, but with a kind of bend in the middle section of the keyboard (like an arch). It doesn't hamper me from using it at all, but if this is a defect then I'd look for a replacement. Can anybody share a picture of what a regular one should look like?

It should be flat when resting on a table/flat surface... no lifting on the corners.....

enigma2k

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2010
My Smart Keyboard rests flat on the desk afterawhile. When I fold it again for some time and then unfold it it takes some time till it is flat again. So this behavior is not normal and it should be flat from the beginning?

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I have an iPP 10.5 and ASK. The keyboard sits flat from front to back leaving no gap between the keyboard and the surface it's sitting on. This doesn't change depending on how long the keyboard has been deployed in the usable position.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
Well, the ASk I just bought at BB for my 10.5 lifts up at the corners . . . Hmm

Update: returned to BB to exchange for another one. CS let me open the replacement there at the counter. Same problem, if anything worse. Got a refund.

Last edited:

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Oddly enough, the cornerstone on mine don’t lift up, actually it’s the middle part of it that bends up ever so slightly.
Still, I don’t think it’s a deal breaker and I probably won’t change mine.

ericbpoll

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2014
I had this issue with my 12.9” last gen. It took a bit, but eventually it rested flat.

My 10.5” that i purchased was perfect out of the gate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.