Smart Keyboard forward delete

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sflomenb, Mar 1, 2016.

1. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

I don't have an iPad Pro, but I plan to get the new iPad coming out next month. I've been thinking, is there any way to forward delete on the Smart Keyboard? On Mac, it's Fn-Delete, but the Smart Keyboard lacks a function key.

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Here is a 9to5 article on (not sure if it's all) keyboard shortcuts for the Smart Keyboard.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/20/ipad-keyboard-shortcuts-cheat-sheet/

Unfortunately, it is mentioned in the comments below the article that there is no command for forward delete.

Possible it could get added over time though, as they will probably continue to add to it as they've added to it in iOS 9.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I haven't found a way yet. I usually just Shift+Right Arrow over the text I want to remove and then hit Delete.

4. arobert3434 macrumors member

For what it's worth, the custom software keyboard we offer (see sig) has this function, but it triggers a bug in Safari where the Javascript engine freezes up. It might be that Apple's keyboards can use a different API than what's provided to third-party developers and avoid it, but I'm hoping they'll add the function and then discover they *really* have to fix the bug, instead of just ignoring the reports. :)

5. Howarc macrumors newbie

Howarc

I share the irritation and hoping they introduce native support for forward delete. In the meantime, I do most of my writing using the app "drafts 4" which allows you to set custom functions and shortcuts so can do forward delete on this having set up the custom settings.