Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zippy3505

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Indiana
Just got the keyboard for my 9.7 IPP. Very easy to use, using it all night. Going to definitely add to productivity. I bought on eBay, auction, for $87. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Reactions: bensisko

spesifikbrush

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2015
Price is really good. I want one too, cuz I felt the absence of a physical keyboard many times on those 5 days of use since buying. The only issue is that it is only in English. My language have more letters, I feel like it'd be a waste if i buy it.

Zippy3505

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Indiana
Price is really good. I want one too, cuz I felt the absence of a physical keyboard many times on those 5 days of use since buying. The only issue is that it is only in English. My language have more letters, I feel like it'd be a waste if i buy it.
That is unfortunate, maybe at some point they will.

Reactions: spesifikbrush

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I bought it for the 12.9 iPad Pro and think it's great. My biggest complaints about iPad keyboards are that they need to be paired and they're (usually) thick. I usually don't gripe about price but as good as it is it's really expensive for a portable keyboard. It also doesn't include the back, which is ridiculous.

Reactions: Zippy3505

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Just got the keyboard for my 9.7 IPP. Very easy to use, using it all night. Going to definitely add to productivity. I bought on eBay, auction, for $87. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Waiting for an Illuminated version no reason why it can't happen.

yegon

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
I like it, just wish it squeezed in function keys. Specifically a play/pause key.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I have had my smart keyboard online 12.9 inch model since early December love it no issues brings my iPad probe 12.9 inch closer to being a laptop replacement for what I do

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I like it also, especially the fact that I can use it with my Pen & Quill case without removing the case.

Waiting for an Illuminated version no reason why it can't happen.

One reason for the lack of illumination would be its resistance to spills. It would add to its cost and bulk if it were still have this same resistance, also it would cost more in battery life. It would be nice though.

ccrgt

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Canberra, Australia
OMG I have had the 12 inch pro since December last year. I also bought the pencil at the same time. I've been happily using the iPP/pencil combo for work (I'm a teacher and use them literally for almost all of my school work, many times a day) and for pleasure at home since then.
I didn't think I really needed the Apple Smart Keyboard and I mostly write using the Apple Pencil and have been happy with the onscreen keyboard. But today I just thought I'd go and buy the ASK and try it out (and return in the 14 day window if I didn't like it).
Well I must say WOW it really is brilliant! I have worked out the fold/unfold procedure pretty quickly and tonight I have been grabbing docs form Dropbox and editing them in Word on my iPP. The ASK is really really fantastic FOR ME and I can't believe I waited this long. I am now able to almost completely using the iPP for 95% of the time and will just use my rMB for those few times (like writing students reports - I haven't worked out how to do that on my iPP yet as the format is in Publisher - I used my rMB with Parallels and Office 365 personal which enabled me to write them on the RMB).
Well worth checking out!

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I very much want it, but not enough to justify full price. Hopefully we see some sort of sale this fall (maybe Keyboard 2 comes out and the price drops?)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I very much want it, but not enough to justify full price. Hopefully we see some sort of sale this fall (maybe Keyboard 2 comes out and the price drops?)
It is highly doubtful that there will be a price reduction on it. Also doubtful that there will be a keyboard 2.

You didn't mention which iPad Pro you have. For the 12.9 iPP, the ASK is THE keyboard solution IMO. Super thin, super convenient, and depending upon one's tastes, a super feel of the keyboard. The TypeCover of the Surface used to be my all-time-favorite keyboard (for any device)... but the ASK is now my favorite.

I think it is a tougher sell for the 9.7 iPP. The keyboard is cramped (relatively speaking) and there are other non-cover/case keyboard options that are very portable.

darkgremio

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2011
I ended returning the iPad Pro 9.7 smart keyboard, it was just way to condensed keyboard. I found that I had better luck just using an external keyboard. I found that it was awkward to accurately place your fingers and type at a consistent speed that is tolerable. I feel weird when I don't have the proper spacing to accurately type using the typical home row method. I had no problem with the 12 inch iPad keyboard, but I ended up returning for the smaller version,which has fared me better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.