iPad Pro Smart Keyboard keeping iPP 'on alert' in tablet mode?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by biosci, Dec 3, 2015.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

Okay, so for those of you that actually HAVE this unicorn of a keyboard, when the keyboard cover is folded over and in back of your iPad Pro, do you notice that your screen keeps activating when it should normally be 'off'? I'll see my iPP from across the room light up to the passcode screen thinking there's a new notification only to find there wasn't anything new coming up. But each time, it was when the iPad Pro was in 'tablet mode' with the Smart Keyboard folded underneath it. I'm wondering if the magnets are close enough to periodically wake the screen.

Anyone else notice this?

2. rkulpajr macrumors member

rkulpajr

I have noticed the same thing. Kind of irritating. I called tech support and they really didn't have a clue. I'm going to take the keyboard off tomorrow and see if it still happens.

3. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing it's the Smart Keyboard magnets interfering with the auto-wake feature of iPads. I'll have to test with that feature off too...

4. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

i noticed this the other day as well, i had my iPP with the keyboard folded back and it was laying flat on my couch and every once in a while i would see the screen light up. weird thing for me was that everytime it did it i would get a text notification on my  watch. i saw another thread saying the same thing about the screen lighting up so i tested it again, keyboard folded over and iPP was laying on my bed, it was a solid 5 minuets and nothing, no lighting up screen no nothing. i'm not sure if the OP has a  watch but i see that rkulpajr does.

5. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

No, nothing like that happening and I have my iPad Pro on the keyboard much of the time.

6. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

Yes, this is definitely happening to me as well. It happens on what seems like a regular time interval...my guess is that it's a magnet thing, also. Has nothing to do with text notifications on either my Watch or phone. I agree that it's a little irritating.

7. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

When it's on the keyboard, what position is it in?

8. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I had a chat on the Apple support site, and he had no answers either...so he made me an appointment at a store so I can bring it in and show someone, and we'll see what happens! I'll report back tomorrow.

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Hmmm, I don't remember this happening to me either. I use mine in mixed modes; when I'm at work it's either folded into "laptop mode" or I have have the cover folded back so that the iPP can lay flat when writing notes and stuff. Occassionally I have it folded back into a stand with the keyboard itself resting against the back of the iPad. I don't recall my iPP ever turning on by itself in any of these positions.

10. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I had a Genius Bar appointment today and told him about the problem, and went to show him. Of course, the problem didn't manifest itself at first, but after turning it on and then letting it go to sleep by itself, the password screen started popping up every 30 seconds. We got one of the demo iPads and started trying different combinations of the demo iPad/my iPad, with my smart keyboard/the demo smart keyboard, and the problem only happened with my iPad and smart keyboard. Weird.

So, they ordered a new smart keyboard for me, and apparently want to send mine in to engineering so they can figure out what the issue is. I get to keep my keyboard in the meantime, though. So there we have it (at least in my case)!

11. chris459 macrumors member

Any Updates on this? It's verr

Did they say when your replacement should arrive? I am having the same issue and curious to see if this resolves the issue.

12. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I told them that I figured he couldn't tell me when it would arrive, given the scarcity of the smart keyboards, and he said that I was exactly right. We'll see!

13. scaramanger macrumors newbie

I have noticed this exact same issue. I leave my iPP on my desk with the keyboard folded back ready to take notes with the pencil, every now and again it will just wake up to the pin code screen for no reason. I also notice random bugs with my keyboard where the cmd-tab shortcut stops working, are others seeing this?

14. chris459 macrumors member

I've experienced the same issue. I have also experienced the keyboard not working on lock screen. It sometimes will not allow me to enter passcode on keyboard.

15. scaramanger macrumors newbie

Thanks Chris, yes i've seen the keyboard not working for pin to, forgot about that. Ok well I guess the positive is that its probably not faulty HW just some bugs, hopefully they'll get fixed soon!

16. TurboPGT! Suspended

Interesting, I'll have to keep an eye out for that...Truth is I like how stable it is in "keyboard mode", so I have yet to actually use it in the typical "smart cover mode".

17. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I just got word that my replacement keyboard is in...so it took just a few days. I'll be picking it up when I go back up to Chicago this weekend, so we'll see if the problem persists!

18. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I picked up my replacement today at the Apple Store. It came in a box just like the retail box, except the box was plain white. I'm happy to report that my iPP is no longer waking up every 30-ish seconds when the ASK is folded behind it. Also, something that I notice only now that it isn't happening is that with my other case, sometimes when I would tap the home button to wake up the iPad, it would bring up Siri, even though I didn't hold it down. That's not happening anymore with the replacement case. Seems to me like there could've been batches of the cases made that had something weird going on with the magnets, I guess!

19. Oblivion426 macrumors member

I have this exact same issue. I'll contact Apple about a replacement Smart Keyboard. Thanks for the heads up.

20. luigi408 macrumors 6502

Just noticed this happening today to me. Hmmm. Will get it replace as well. Thank you.

21. mrsoonersky macrumors newbie

My smart keyboard is doing the same thing, but it only started after about a week of use... I will wait to see if the replacements also start the same behavior. I bet this is a SW issue.

22. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I just got my Keyboard this afternoon finally. I have not noticed that behaviour yet but the battery sure seems to be draining quick. Might be just because I have new toys and I am playing a lot but I could have sworn I had 61% before dinner tonight when I closed the Keyboard cover and right after dinner down to 49 %. Maybe about 30 minutes had passed?

Maybe I just recalled a number from earlier this evening as the starting point.

23. Oblivion426 macrumors member

I received my replacement keyboard today and the issue is still happening.

24. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

Mine started doing it again as well. I went back into an Apple Store today and showed them, and they decided to swap out the iPad since last time they swapped out the case. Of course as luck would have it, they were out of stock on my particular model, but it's been ordered so I'll get it sometime this week. We'll see what happens with this solution!

25. flapflapflap macrumors member

Trash. They better fix this if they want to charge us a premium of $169.