Smart Keyboard Magnet a bit Touchy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redman042, May 10, 2016.

1. redman042 macrumors 68020

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. I have the 9.7" Pro with Smart Keyboard. I'm finding that the the magnet and/or contacts are a bit touchy in that sometimes the iPad doesn't detect that the keyboard is connected/active when it is, and the software keyboard pops up. This happens once or twice a day after first folding it into place. Jiggling the stand or disconnecting and reconnecting the smart connector fixes the issue. I also very recently cleaned the contacts with alcohol. I'm monitoring over the next few days to see if this helps.

Has anyone else noticed some sensitivity to aligning the magnets or the smart connector, or do you have a fool-proof connection. If this persists, I'll exchange the keyboard.

2. cybertek macrumors regular

cybertek

I haven't noticed this on mine. I have only had it a few days but it has worked flawlessly.

3. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I have had it for about a month, and never had an issue connecting. You could try cleaning the contacts, otherwise exchange it (hoping it's not an issue with the contacts on the iPad itself!).

4. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Apple's support page on the Smart Keyboard mentions some of this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205237

5. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks everyone. I can't always tell if the issue is interference with the pins or if it's the magnet that holds the stand in place (which also detects that the keyboard isn't folded back).

I'll watch it over the next week. If I continue to see issues, I'm guessing I have a defect since others don't see this problem at all.

6. noodles5666 macrumors regular

I have had this issue quite a bit. Part of the reason I was getting rid of the device.

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I also had this issue but only on the 9.7. I believe that the device is almost too light to stay connected. The 12.9 stays in place much better due to the added weight.

8. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

Since I cleaned the contacts with alcohols last Tuesday, it seems to be much better now. I think there was just some body oil or something on the pins.