Smart Keyboard w/ onscreen keyboard

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VforVelveta, Mar 24, 2016.

1. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I'm considering getting an iPad Pro with a Smart Keyboard Cover, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is if you can use the keyboard cover to prop the iPad up at a slight angle to type with the onscreen keyboard. Apple's info site only mentions the "type" (with the physical keyboard) and "watch" positions, but it seems like you could put it in the "watch" position and lay it down to type on just like you can with the regular Smart Cover. Has anyone tried this, and how well does it work if it does?

2. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

If you don't set the iPad into the groove on the keyboard you can use the on screen keyboard instead - it's an either or option.

3. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I believe that the smart keyboard is only activated when it is connected to the iPad via the smart connector. If you fold the keyboard in such a way that that no contact is made, then the onscreen keyboard will appear.

4. VforVelveta thread starter macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I guess more what I'm asking is, yes the keyboard will appear, but can you prop the iPad up at an angle like you can with the regular Smart Cover, like so. KBCover.png

5. Cascades42 macrumors 6502

It doesn't magnetise into place the same way as the trifold does, but feels perfectly stable.

6. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

ah, got it. Yes you can.

In that video the guy folds it so that it stands up just like a smartcover, but if you were to lay it down, it would act exactly as you described.

When my 12.9 Pro and keyboard arrive, I'll give it a try.

7. VforVelveta thread starter macrumors regular

VforVelveta

Right, that's what Apple calls the "watch" angle. I assumed you can lay it down from there, just unsure how stable it'll be since it seems the magnets don't quite hold things together like the normal smart cover does. Definitely give it a try when you can and let me know, and thanks in advance :)

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When I tried the "typing angle" in stores, I found it collapsed. However, I've seen people say it is stable.