Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Guys,

If anyone here has had any experience or has any knowledge about this for creating Mood Lighting or Ambience Lighting which is a Wi-Fi/APP and Voice enabled smart light, which is a better option LIFX or EVE, these both are companies offering Smart Lights !

Any recommendations ?

stgeorge602

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2018
Hi Guys,

If anyone here has had any experience or has any knowledge about this for creating Mood Lighting or Ambience Lighting which is a Wi-Fi/APP and Voice enabled smart light, which is a better option LIFX or EVE, these both are companies offering Smart Lights !

Any recommendations ?

A couple weeks ago I purchased the LIFX light strips for behind my TV. App and Siri voice commands work well. Setup was easy. Siri cannot change color and brightness at same time, though.

I went with LIFX because of reviews (praising its ability to produce true colors) and I did not want to deal with a hub. I would rather not have another box to set on my TV stand.

Hope this helps.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
I am a big fan of Hue. Works well with HomeKit. Easy to setup. Regular updates from Phillips.

It all depends on your usage though. If you are interested in the color changing stuff then Hue would work well. If you just want smart capabilities then something like Lutrons wall switches may be a bit more cost efficient as you can use any dimmable bulb. These would probably be a bit more work installing though.

People fuss about the hub, but I think it is a much cleaner setup if you manage your network. To elaborate on that.. Instead of each individual bulb showing up as a device on the network you only see the hub. Makes it a bit easier to "contain". Also the zigbee or z-wave (whatever it is called) has a bit better range because each bulb essentially acts as an extender for other bulbs to connect through.

I have never personally tried LIFX, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. Just comes down to preference once you decide what your needs/wants are.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I've personally tried both LIFX and HUE and stuck with HUE. They are ridiculously expensive, so have been adding 2-3 per month and watching for sales. HUE also has a wider range of bulb types, e.g., chandelier base (E10) Standard base cabinet lights (Par10) and Halogen replacement spots (GU10) than any other. I am currently adding to replace the can lights around the house which are BR30's. The only bulb type I don't have and haven't tried are the Par10's. Whatever you choose, it makes sense to stick with one brand. One reason I chose HUE is that there are multiple Apps for Philips HUE specifically and I already have the Hub. Philips is also making outdoor lighting for HUE and seems to be adding to the line along with future proofing. Philips is also an old and reliable company that is likely to be around with customer support well into the future.

I agree about multiple Hubs, but since I already have them, I attached them to the underside of my desk with sticky tape velcro with the cords running up behind the desk to the computer/router. Out of sight, out of mind.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I have Hue & I like them. I would be open to trying LIFX though.

If it's possible, maybe try purchasing both from a reputable retailer (or their official sites) & testing both out. Most places (and the official websites) should have a decent return window. That way you get the chance to see which you prefer.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I think I agree with the people who have suggested LIFX it looks like a very solid brand giving some quality products and is eezzy peezy. Most likely will go for it.

MacintoshDan

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
I have 2 of their color bulbs, one full size and one mini. When I first got them I had issues with the mini one, they sent me a new one that was a new hardware revision that they said would fix my issues. Their CS is pretty good. I had some more issues for a bit but I don't anymore. I think the issues were my Verizon gateway anyway not the bulbs. If you are looking to do an entire house, Hue probably is cheaper, but as I mentioned, their bulbs are only 60W equivalent. I grew up in a house with 100W incandescent bulbs, so the 60W LEDS aren't bright enough for me. My room has the two LIFX bulbs, a lamp on a Wemo switch, and a Wemo dimmer switch. Works great with the HomePod or my Google Assistant alarm clock.

walex19

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Atlanta,GA
If you want something more reliable, go with hue. Lifx has connection issues every now and then. Having a hub helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.