Smart mailboxes in iPad Air

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Jardins de Vin, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

My iPad Air is running on iOS, is there a way to have smart mailboxes the same way you can have them on the Mac? And possibly even to sync them?

I've read some articles about this subject which hint that it's possible, but they only talk about those standard mailboxes like "VIP", "Today", etc.

What I'm looking for is something where you enter specific criteria, like one criteria would for example be that the sender contains the word "Alex", then all emails containing "Alex" would land in that folder.

That's quite important to me as I check my mails (almost) only on the iPad.
    I use Gmail if that makes a difference.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

As an alternative, can you set up filters in Gmail itself to basically add those various labels that you want for different messages and then access those messages by going to those labels in your Gmail account?

3. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Have you tried setting up the filters and folders via the gmail web interface?

4. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hmm I had tried it in the past but couldn't get it to work. Tried it again now and it seems to work, I didn't know labels and filters had to be combined in order for this to work. I definitely prefer the Apple solution at this point, it's much cleaner and all. But I guess the Gmail one is the only working solution.

There's some stuff however that I'm not sure how to make work. For example, is there a way to have all the past mails in those labels/mailboxes as well? It only seems to work for new ones that arrive. But often I'll search for old stuff and that would definitely make it easier.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can apply a filter to existing messages as well (I believe it's a checkbox you can check when you are creating or editing a filter to have it execute on existing messages).

6. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I checked again and you were right :) It was written in a weird way in my language so I sort of ignored it.

Well, problem solved then I guess. Thanks guys!

7. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Okay I have a new problem it seems.

There's two "rows" of mailboxes on the iPad, one is the stuff like Inbox, Marked, Unread, or Today.

The other row (below) is the gmail stuff. I noticed I could have the gmail stuff in the top row, and that would allow me to sort it the way I like it (otherwise it's in alphabetical order only). I would do that by clicking "Edit" and then "Add mailbox". Here I can choose which of my gmail inboxes I'd like to appear.

The problem: They already appear in the column below the iPad mailboxes. And I can't get rid of them there, because they appear as soon as I check the box "Show in IMAP" in Gmail. Is there no way to delete them? I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is clear.