Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukeyyyyy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
First of all ive been looking to purchase an iphone for some time now, I was holding off until the Iphone 5 was released as i am elgible for an upgrade in june,

However with all the rumours of it being delayed ect i decided to a purchase a 6 week old white Iphone 3GS

The phone cost me £250,

However i was able to trade my previous phone in for £50 + sold my ipod touch 2nd Gen for £80,

So in total the phone cost me £130,

I really do make use of the phone, its really become vital, assisting me with my job role plus I enjoy ios gaming, and make use of the teathering functionality.

so I believe I made the right choice i couldnt justify paying an extra £150 for an Iphone 4, as the componants are similar just slightly downclocked, so games like infinity blade run fine on the 3gs,

However my main concern is the battery ussage,

I take my phone off charge for work at 05:30,

My daily usage consist of;

45 Mins 3g Usage (Safari)
30 Text messages
30 Mins Talk Time
20 Mins Google maps / Sat nav app
30 Mins of 3D games,
30 Mins Ipod through Aux port

My setup is

Wifi On
Gps On
Brightness 75% with auto brightness
Notifications on
3g On
1 E-mail address pulling data every hour

I usually return from work at around 18:30 at my battery is almost depleted i am looking at 10% left over

Is this normal?

Is there much difference between the iphone 3gs and iphone 4 in terms of battery?

Many Thanks for your thoughts / opinions.

-Luke

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
Yeah bro, that's quite a bit of use for it. Screen brightness is one of the major culprits... why do you need at 75%? Try 50% with Auto-Brightness on. Also, why the hourly push for email? Fetch is as necessary, I'd say.

I didn't own the 3GS, but I used the original for a good amount of time. To me, that battery lasted way longer the the 4's battery.

victorvu

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
I had a 3gs, which battery life is about the same as yours. I'm a heavy user too, with a lot of talk, text, ebuddy, push mail, youtube, netflix, games etc. It'd last only a working day. Iphone 4 battery, however, is way better. I'm on 4.3.1, yet to update to 4.3.2, and here's my usage

Attachments

• IMG_1186[1].PNG
    IMG_1186[1].PNG
    125.1 KB · Views: 44

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Your battery is pretty normal for the 3GS. The iPhone 4 would of given you better battery life though as their is a bigger battery as well as having more efficient internals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.