smart phone?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by X1Lightning, Oct 8, 2007.

1. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

I'm looking for a good smart phone that i can sync with my mac?
    i would love the iphone but, cant get that in my area,
    so what other phone syncs up nicely with the mac? and can do the real internet?

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I think the blackberry syncs up nicely? Not 100% sure. However, find out about the MotoQ cause i think thats better looking =D but thats just me.

3. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

i did try out a moto q and it was pretty nice, but it sucks at the web, and the seller couldn't tell me if it would sync with a mac.

i really like the blackberry curve, but like the iphone, i cant get it up here in the sticks.....

4. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm using a Palm OS Treo and it syncs great with The Missing Sync. It's a $40 (I think!!) piece of software that integrates it great. If you decide to get one, don't bother installing the included Palm software. It will just leave stuff all over your hard drive.

It also depends on your provider. Sprint's coming out with the Palm Centro, which is basically, if I remember correctly, a smaller version of a Palm Treo 755. It does include Pocket Tunes Deluxe, which SHOULD play ACC files, and will even sync with a playlist from iTunes.

I have a feeling a new Treo's coming out soon, but it looks like not until late 2008/2009. If you need it now, I suggest a current model.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

my friend just got a blackberry. i was looking at it today and all i got to say is that I can't stand it. The interface is all cluttered and so small you can't see what anyhing is. Also, I dont get the keyboard. I tried typing on it and I made more mistakes then even the first time typing on the iPhone. The way it was set up was so confusing and ahh I'm just glad that I got the iPhone.

6. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

well i just found a phone that might work for me HTC 6800
    its pretty sweet, not quite the iphone, but it will do what i need and with the The Missing Sync i will be able to sync up, thanks davidg4781
    [​IMG]

7. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

that htc is supposed to be a good phone is that just a re-branded tytn 2

8. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

That's a pretty nice phone. Have you used Windows Mobile? I tried it with a friend's Treo and honestly, didn't really care too much for it. Although, I was just playing with it for a few minutes, so there might have been a learning curve from using Palm OS.

9. X1Lightning thread starter macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

i tried this phone out with windows mobile on it, it took a bit to figure out what to do, i think i can get by with it, i haven't tried a palm os phone yet, all the cell stores around here just have the fake phone for the palms, so you cant try it out, you have to order it,
    I really like the large touch screen on this one, plus the full slide out keyboard
    but i am wondering if the slide out keyboard will hold up for 2 years....

Not sure, i've never seen that one...

10. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Just remember if you get a palm os device: it's a dying platform and I have no idea how much longer it will actually exist

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

That's true. You can get some software now for it, and you'll be set for some time to come, at least until you jump to another OS. There's supposedly Palm OS II in the works, which is rumored to be compatible with current Palm OS software, so you'll be able to continue to use it. It was supposed to launch on new devices later this year, but now I think it's been pushed back to late 2008. If this is true or just something to get people to buy the Centro, then a Palm OS II device soon after, who knows. The Centro sure took a lot of people off guard.

Palm usually keeps their products secret. The 700p was only found out because some guy bought one off of Craigslist, IIRC.

There's going to be a risk involved, when dealing with Palm, at least for now. I don't know if I'd take that risk if I wasn't a current Palm user. For me, a medium-power user, it's a more elegant, simpler, and nicer design than Windows. I've never really played with Blackberry's or that other OS that's out there (on Nokias, I think??).

12. jade macrumors 6502

To be honest. I had been a Palm hater, using Windows handhelds for a while. When I switched to Mac I ditched my handheld not too long after (phone + ipod + PDA = crowded purse). I have been holding out the smartphone trend for 5 years since all of the devices were too wide, and didn't feel enough like a phone!

The Centro is awesome, just the right width, and easy enough to use. As an old school Windows CE user, I picked up the Palm OS pretty quickly. I am on 10.3 so no missing sync, but in may case, I'll be able to suffer for a bit without it. I say go Centro if the phone part of smartphone is important to you.

(P.S. don;t believe the hype on the keys. I was easily able to acclimate myself and I type pretty fast with it.)