Smart Playlist for mp3s???

Discussion in 'iPod' started by davidg4781, Jul 4, 2007.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

Ok, I've looked around on here and google, and I couldn't find anything for what I'm looking for...maybe I just don't know what to search for.

I have all my music saved as AACs on my MacBook and I'd like to convert a few of them to mp3s so I can play on my Treo 700p. pTunes doesn't play AACs (unless I pay for an upgrade, which is out of the question) and many of the ringtone software won't play AACs. I'd like to convert a few to mp3s, have a smart playlist to hold them, then sync that playlist with my Treo via Missing Sync.

Is this possible? I've tried and can't figure it out. They're all at 128 bitrate, so that won't help. Any suggestions? :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe use a different bitrate for the MP3s then. :)

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

Hmm, I guess I could do that. The guy that wrote the software suggested using 128, to keep the file size low and all, but I'm sure having a lower bitrate wouldn't hurt. I'll have to ask. I didn't WANT to do it that way, but I think I may have to. Thanks!

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

To convert them to mp3, in the importing tab in the advanced preferences, change the default import to mp3, and then when you Cmd+Click the songs you will get an option to convert to mp3. Remember to change it back to AAC after you have converted them, or anything you import in future will automatically be imported as mp3.

You can create a smart playlist setting the filter as "Kind is MPEG audio file". That should do what you want.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

Awesome. That did it. I had tried the Kind contains mp3, and it was coming up empty. Guess it's not the same thing.

This will also help to convert any one that's not AAC over to AAC. Usually if they're not from a CD, I'm not too concerned about the quality (voice recordings, little things like that), so if anything's lost in the translation, it's not going to bother me much.

Thanks again!:D