Smart Playlist Synchronisation problems...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Droid13, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Droid13 macrumors regular

Dear All,

The last software update for the iPhone was supposed to fix a problem people were having with smart playlists. It appears to have broken mine, wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to fix this.

I have a number of smart playlists I use - one of these is for music added to the iTunes library within a specific timeframe, another is for music that has been played more than a specified number of times and a third is for music of a specified genre.

When I sync the iPhone all the tracks that are eligible for these playlists end up on the device, however only one of the playlist names is visible under Playlists. The iPhone does not recognise the other playlists as existing, even on voice command, even though the correct tracks are available.

So far I have tried synchronising without the playlists selected then selecting them again, deleting the playlists then creating them under a different or the same name and, in an act of desperation, performing a full reset without restoring from a backup. None of that has worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Droid13

2. jsgrabo macrumors regular

Try right-clicking the smart playlist and go to "Edit Smart Playlist". Deselect "Live updating". Then try syncing it to your phone.

3. Droid13 thread starter macrumors regular

Close...

Thanks for your response - tried that out and it changed the playlist that was listed on the iPhone from one to the other at random - but only one was listed at a time. All the tracks were still on there though.

Whatever is wrong, altering the live-updating status does have an impact - will play around with this some more and see what happens.

Thanks again.

4. Droid13 thread starter macrumors regular

And that's a no...

Dear All

I can't get the playlists to synchronise correctly, which is somewhat disappointing.

My workaround: copy the contents of a smart playlist into a normal one and synchronise that instead. For whatever reason that works as it should. If anyone else has this problem and has found another way around this, please let me know.

Regards,
    Droid13