Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
I just noticed after reading someone's post here that Smart Playlists actually work with the Apple TV. Including video playlists! This is huge!

You have to enable all playlists, not just music playlists, in the Apple TV settings. Once you do that, video playlists will appear in a playlist section under the All movies sort option.

You can use the playlists to add all sorts of missing categorizations or filters ... for example, by year, or newly added movies. You can also create playlist folders to group the playlists together and that works too! I was especially irritated to not have a browse by year option, so this works tremendously, although it requires a lot of initial playlist setup. I'm sure I'll think of all kinds of interesting smart playlists to set up in the future too. Exciting!

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Yep!

I love em. Been using them for ages. The new ATV handles them slightly different, but still makes life a lot easier.

I have had the experience of having my itunes library file corrupted on occasion, so I now embed a lot of key data in the comments fields. Hence if I stuff up or the library corrupts again (its happened twice), I just recreate a smart playlist that looks in the comments field and bom bom...all is right with the world again.!! :)

I also use the year fields, artists (where for movies I put actor names), and Im still trying to figure out how to access the 'Directors' field. I love to have a Hitchcock or Spielberg playlist!! (without having to duplicate the data to like another accessible field)

If you figure that one, give me a yell.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Yep!

I love em. Been using them for ages. The new ATV handles them slightly different, but still makes life a lot easier.

I have had the experience of having my itunes library file corrupted on occasion, so I now embed a lot of key data in the comments fields. Hence if I stuff up or the library corrupts again (its happened twice), I just recreate a smart playlist that looks in the comments field and bom bom...all is right with the world again.!! :)

I also use the year fields, artists (where for movies I put actor names), and Im still trying to figure out how to access the 'Directors' field. I love to have a Hitchcock or Spielberg playlist!! (without having to duplicate the data to like another accessible field)

Or you could just restore from your Time Machine backup. You are using Time Machine right? Right?? :p

I love the way Smart Playlists work with movies on the Apple TV too. You set them up once and it all works automatically from then on. Gives you a heap of categorization ability similiar to Plex but actually more powerful and customizable than Plex's categories since you can set up all kinds of combinations of tags and can control it yourself.

Crimson77

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Laukaa, Finland

MetaX :cool:

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Stopped using MetaX some time back. To many issues. Using iFlicks now. It does it all as well, but the Director field isnt acessible from within iTunes. Just wishing it converted to mp4/m4v instead of mov. I HATE mov!! If it did that it would be virtually my one stop for handling standard def media.

Ive been speaking to iFlicks developer, and he's looking at making it an option to be able to duplicate fields to other accessible fields (actors -> artists, directors to composer or some such).

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Or you could just restore from your Time Machine backup. You are using Time Machine right? Right?? :p

I love the way Smart Playlists work with movies on the Apple TV too. You set them up once and it all works automatically from then on. Gives you a heap of categorization ability similiar to Plex but actually more powerful and customizable than Plex's categories since you can set up all kinds of combinations of tags and can control it yourself.

I do use time machine, but I have my library in two physical locations, so I have the itunes library files on the external drive WITH my media. And Time Machine cant backup 3.5TB. At least, not with great expense, which Ive already pumped into the Drobo.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati

You could add the director to the artists field

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
True....but then...where would the actors go?:)

Wait.....you mean....in addition to the actors? Damn it! I like it!

Yes that is what i have been doing, or you could add to the composer field. I use Identify 2 for my meta data. There is a field there for director but i am not sure where it goes in iTunes

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Yes that is what i have been doing, or you could add to the composer field. I use Identify 2 for my meta data. There is a field there for director but i am not sure where it goes in iTunes

I just found it, if i right click on the movie in iTunes and pick "description", and scroll down it is there.

So if i set up my Smart Playlist to check the description for James Cameron it seems to work.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I just found it, if i right click on the movie in iTunes and pick "description", and scroll down it is there.

So if i set up my Smart Playlist to check the description for James Cameron it seems to work.

Quickly checked a couple of my itunes purchased films...and theres a lot of data in the description field, but its not consistent. But it is an option.

iFlicks (as I imagine identify is doing,) is filling in the 'director' field in the meta data. Just why iTunes is not able to look into that field puzzles me.

....C'mon, Apple...it aint rocket science!! Lift your game! Your pushing the :apple:TV as a media centre...well.....finish the job on iTunes!

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Even more puzzling.....the description field of the movie when you hit :apple:i is not the same as the description when you click the 'i' at the end of the description field......:confused:! Go figure!!!!

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quickly checked a couple of my itunes purchased films...and theres a lot of data in the description field, but its not consistent. But it is an option.

iFlicks (as I imagine identify is doing,) is filling in the 'director' field in the meta data. Just why iTunes is not able to look into that field puzzles me.

....C'mon, Apple...it aint rocket science!! Lift your game! Your pushing the :apple:TV as a media centre...well.....finish the job on iTunes!

I have yet to purchase any content from iTunes, all of my DVD's are from my own collection (i go through the $5 bin at wallyworld about once a month).

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Stopped using MetaX some time back. To many issues. Using iFlicks now. It does it all as well, but the Director field isnt acessible from within iTunes. Just wishing it converted to mp4/m4v instead of mov. I HATE mov!! If it did that it would be virtually my one stop for handling standard def media.

Ive been speaking to iFlicks developer, and he's looking at making it an option to be able to duplicate fields to other accessible fields (actors -> artists, directors to composer or some such).

I use iFlicks religiously and have found the best solution:

For avi files, I use an automator workflow that uses QuickTime/Perian to convert to Apple TV, creating an mp4 file. Then iFlicks processes that.

For mkv files, the new iFlicks beta flattens them to m4v nicely and quickly (no encoding!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.