Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Hi,

I'm looking into getting new smart plugs but am slightly overwhelmed by the amount of options (plenty from China with mediocre ratings, too).

So far I've been using the Ankuoo Neo plugs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAX2GVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), which have been fine and do what I want them for. I mostly need remote access (atm through their own app) and timers. The main missing thing: voice control (and they could be a tad smaller). They work stand-alone and can't be controlled by voice commands. So, I want something new that I can integrate into a system with voice-control, but as I'm not yet sure whether or not I want to go down the Siri (HomeKit) or Alexa road, I'd preferably get something that supports both. However, the main caveats I'm encountering are:

- only support for either
- bad reviews
- no remote control (or if homekit, than the clunky workaround with ATV as a base station)

I've been looking at this one, but it does get pretty bad reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKTM46R/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2Y9E835C2L9XT&colid=2CZ3TNOWCGTUB

Otherwise, these have fairly good reviews, but no HomeKit support.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1JVZOE/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I15WEP61MNG3IM&colid=2CZ3TNOWCGTUB

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5D4GEO/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

What are people using on here?
Which can they recommend (working with Alexa or HomeKit or both)?

BrettStah

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
I bought four of the idevices ones from eBay. They work well enough and have a nightlight built-in (so each plug shows up in HomeKit as two devices). I have an automation created that turns the nightlights on and off based off of sunsets and sunrises.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I use iDevices and Koogeek without issues at my house. I’m about ready to replace my old Insteon plugs for Christmas decorations, and the new low cost iHome plug for outside seems of interest this year or next year, hopefully when the new house is built.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Thank you, you two. Will look into iDevices.

As I understand it the older Koogeeks are fine, but people seem to have issues with the latest model. And unfortunately that one doesn't include native remote control.

BrettStah

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
No problem. I just looked up my eBay order, and it was $59.99 for 4 of them (So ~$15/each).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-i...t-Plug-Works-with-Apple-Homekit-/192338802986

I had some temporary issues involving updating the firmware on them (the Home app kept telling me one of them needed a firmware update, but I had already updated it). Eventually it stopped... Took a few days though.

Also, I recommend using the iDevices app initially since that is how the firmware gets updated, and I would recommend only plugging them in one at a time and rename them as you go.

Final tip... You can change the color of the nightlight via the Home app, but in my experience, the color gets reset every time the nightlight is turned off and back on. To make the color "stick", use the iDevices app to set up your scenes. In my case, I have a scene created in the iDevices app that turns on the nightlight and sets the color. Then in the Home app, I have an automation that runs 30 minutes after sunset that triggers that scene.

Reactions: Ankaa

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've been using an iHome Smart Plug

https://www.amazon.com/iHome-ISP6X-...id=1511304670&sr=8-2&keywords=ihome+smartplug

And its been working great.

I use it as a automated trigger in my bedroom. Turn on the smart switch (via the app or manually) for lamp A and the iHome Smart Plug turns on on the other side of the room to light lamp B. This way I didn't need to run an extension cord behind the bed.

Its FAST too, unless you knew better you would think that the iHome Smart Plug was on the same circuit.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
No problem. I just looked up my eBay order, and it was $59.99 for 4 of them (So ~$15/each).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-4-i...t-Plug-Works-with-Apple-Homekit-/192338802986

Wow, that's pretty cheap, considering they run for $27 on amazon and $20 on ebay for only one. I don't need four, though :oops:

I've been using an iHome Smart Plug

https://www.amazon.com/iHome-ISP6X-...id=1511304670&sr=8-2&keywords=ihome+smartplug

And its been working great.

I use it as a automated trigger in my bedroom. Turn on the smart switch (via the app or manually) for lamp A and the iHome Smart Plug turns on on the other side of the room to light lamp B. This way I didn't need to run an extension cord behind the bed.

Its FAST too, unless you knew better you would think that the iHome Smart Plug was on the same circuit.

Thanks! I didn't see anything while briefly scanning the amazon site. Does it come with its own App that lets me set up timers and/or control the plug remotely?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks! I didn't see anything while briefly scanning the amazon site. Does it come with its own App that lets me set up timers and/or control the plug remotely?

Yes. But the app kind of sucks IMO.

However since its a HomeKit device I would forgo the app entirely (except maybe the occasional firmware update) and just use the Home app for turning it on and off and timer functionality.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
Yes. But the app kind of sucks IMO.

However since its a HomeKit device I would forgo the app entirely (except maybe the occasional firmware update) and just use the Home app for turning it on and off and timer functionality.

Thank you! However, to control it remotely using HomeKit, you need to set up either an AppleTV or iPad as your home base...which I don't have at the moment and don't quite like. I like to be able to at least control it remotely through a native app (and yes, I know that if I end up wanting to use Siri for voice-control I will need to get the AppleTV ;) )

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thank you! However, to control it remotely using HomeKit, you need to set up either an AppleTV or iPad as your home base...which I don't have at the moment and don't quite like. I like to be able to at least control it remotely through a native app (and yes, I know that if I end up wanting to use Siri for voice-control I will need to get the AppleTV ;) )

Well I turned my wifi and bt off and the plug still works. In the app it offers scheduling settings for various times of day. This is the type of device that works with all sorts of home automation apps still likely allowing you to forgo the native app. Honestly the native app isn't that bad I just have some many home automation devices and each app is different than the next I prefer a single place for all of them.

I don't see a settings for sunset and sunrise though just times, I could just be missing it though.

EDIT: Sorry I'm actually seeing how tightly this thing integrates with HomeKit it may have been using HomeKit through the app. However the box clearly says "no hub required". However if you don't have any use for HomeKit functionality you can save a buck and kit this.

https://www.amazon.com/Enabled-Sock...1311673&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=smart+plug&th=1

I have a friend who has a couple and uses them through the Tuya smart app and they seem to work just fine.

Last edited:

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
However if you don't have any use for HomeKit functionality you can save a buck and kit this.

https://www.amazon.com/Enabled-Socket-Amazon-Control-Function/dp/B075GV6RLJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1511311673&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=smart+plug&th=1

I have a friend who has a couple and uses them through the Tuya smart app and they seem to work just fine.

Thank you! I've been eyeing these, especially for their price tag, but wasn't completely convinced. Too many too similar looking models out there...so some first-hand experience is always valued (not really trusting Amazon reviews ;) )

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thank you! I've been eyeing these, especially for their price tag, but wasn't completely convinced. Too many too similar looking models out there...so some first-hand experience is always valued (not really trusting Amazon reviews ;) )

Well reliability wise they seem ok SO FAR. My friend says he hasn't had a problem with them at all. He uses them through Alexa and the few times I've used them they've worked.

Security wise however, you are potentially introducing a weak link or even a possible threat on your home network. The reason I stick with homekit is because I know it needed to pass various security protocol to get Apples approval. I could just be overreacting though.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
If you go "all in" for HomeKit (including getting an AppleTV for a hub) then Elgate Eve Energy might be good. My home has six of these all over the place. I was especially impressed with the energy monitoring function (real-time monitoring, and logging/accessing/exporting all past data at 10-minute granularity maximum, with nice graphs to boot) and the Eve app is very competent in setting up automation rules. The fact that it's offered in various regional versions (US, UK, EU, AU) is a big plus. Even if the plug itself is different, it supports wide voltage input, so you could just get an adapter. Downsides are that it's pricey, and that it's based on BTLE so the remote command may see slight delay, although standby power consumption is lower as a result. Stability wise, they have been rock solid so far for the last 6 months or so that I had been using.

I did try the Koogeek and Incipio plugs for a while, but the higher standby power consumption and less sophisticated power monitoring functions eventually led me to abandon them.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2008
If you go "all in" for HomeKit (including getting an AppleTV for a hub) then Elgate Eve Energy might be good. My home has six of these all over the place. I was especially impressed with the energy monitoring function (real-time monitoring, and logging/accessing/exporting all past data at 10-minute granularity maximum, with nice graphs to boot) and the Eve app is very competent in setting up automation rules. The fact that it's offered in various regional versions (US, UK, EU, AU) is a big plus. Even if the plug itself is different, it supports wide voltage input, so you could just get an adapter. Downsides are that it's pricey, and that it's based on BTLE so the remote command may see slight delay, although standby power consumption is lower as a result. Stability wise, they have been rock solid so far for the last 6 months or so that I had been using.

I did try the Koogeek and Incipio plugs for a while, but the higher standby power consumption and less sophisticated power monitoring functions eventually led me to abandon them.

I remember I looked at the Elgate Eve quite some while ago but didn't like that it just MUST have an ATV and from what I understood communicates via BT? And, they're quite pricey, too.

On another note...I was almost gonna go with the iDevice plug, but just stumpled across this, does anyone have any experience?

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Requ...S100/dp/B0178IC734/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B0178IC734

It's currently bundled with the Echo Dot for really cheap. It doesn't support HomeKit, unfortunately, but if it's otherwise good and fulfills my other requirements (remote control, automation) - which it seems to do from briefly scanning the amazon site, I'd go with it regardless.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Elgate Eve Energy might be good. ... Downsides are that it's pricey, and that it's based on BTLE so the remote command may see slight delay,
I have three of these: it’s defintely not a slight delay, it’s significant (5 seconds, 10 seconds, more...) and sometimes doesn’t work at all, presumably due to Bluetooth range issues from the ATV I’m using as a HomeKit hub. I really wouldn’t recommend Eve at all: the only reason I have them is that there were no other UK HomeKit plugs last year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.