Smart Speaker Survey States iPhone Owners 22 Percent More Likely to Buy Speakers, Favor Amazon Over Google

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In January, Voicebot.ai surveyed 1,057 Americans over the age of 18 regarding their ownership or interest in smart speakers, and today the researchers have published their final report with the results. While the data precedes Apple's entry into the market with HomePod in February, it does include a few points of data regarding iPhone/iOS users and their interest in smart speakers, prevalent long before rumblings about Apple's HomePod began.

[​IMG]

Specifically, the Smart Speaker Consumer Adoption Report states that iPhone owners are 22 percent more likely to own a smart speaker compared to non-Apple smartphone owners. Of the smart speakers on the market besides HomePod, iPhone users are 30 percent less likely to own a Google Home and favor devices like Amazon Echo.

[​IMG]
    Graphs via Voicebot.ai

In fact, Voicebot.ai argued that Apple and Amazon are likely companions in "multi-manufacturer households," where HomePod is purchased as a "luxury item for music listening" and Echo is used for more "utilitarian tasks."
    The report has many other interesting tidbits of information, stating that about 19.7 percent of adults in the United States use smart speakers, while 47.3 million have access to one of these devices. This means that they live in a home with a smart speaker, but may not be the primary owner -- a necessary distinction for the survey as smart speakers are "communal devices" used by entire households, unlike a smartphone with one user.

Many consumers own an average of 1.8 smart speakers, most place them in their living room (45.9 percent of owners) or kitchen (41.4 percent), and Amazon remains the dominant player in the market with a 3.5 times larger install base than Google. All of this growth surprised many analysts, particularly compared to growth rates of other product categories.
    Among the most popular use cases, questions, music, and weather commands remain at the top. In total, the researchers said that this data provides the best indication that smart speakers are "being incorporated into everyday lives of consumers," with 63 percent using them daily and 77 percent at least weekly.

[​IMG]

For those who don't own a smart speaker, 37.9 percent stated disinterest as their reason, 21.2 percent said they get enough similar features from their smartphone, 16 percent referenced privacy concerns, 11.8 percent said they plan to purchase soon, 8.8 percent claimed they were too expensive, and 4.2 referenced other reasons. For future owners, 9.8 percent expect to make a purchase in 2018, 26 percent of which said they will be purchasing Apple's HomePod.

Article Link: Smart Speaker Survey States iPhone Owners 22 Percent More Likely to Buy Speakers, Favor Amazon Over Google

2. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

How has this changed now that the HomePod has been released?

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I think the HomePod is one of those devices perfect for the living room setting because of the sound it delivers. But the echo Dot being it’s more affordable and smaller, is excellent for bedrooms, in the kitchen and various rooms throughout the house for asking various controls and questions.

4. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

I fall into the 37.9 that said disinterested. I have no interest in a speaker being anything more than a speaker.

5. SigEp265 macrumors 6502

SigEp265

If I could just play Google Music on the HomePod I might get one ...

6. Lab4Us macrumors member

I have to ask...does ANYONE outside of those of us reading these sites care much about constantly comparing smart speakers? I mean I know they buy them, but article after article comparing them is becoming annoying redundant. This article just expands into more metrics no one cares about. Well, probably not no one, but most.

Do I care what iPhone users prefer in a smart speaker? Nope, and I’ve had one since first iPhone.

Do I care that AI is better in the speakers built for AI? Nope, I like my Homepods just fine.

Oh, and I’ll continue to buy what “I” want, regardless of spin.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 7, 2018 ---
    I’m sure many have told you this, but you can!

7. gugy macrumors 68030

I wished the HomePod was at least $100 cheaper. They would move way more units. But down the road, I might consider one but for sure I am in no hurry to get one.

8. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

Now you see why Apple released the HomePod. Huge market for them to tap.

9. freezah macrumors newbie

Apple, I'm your loyal customer and biggest fan, I own every single Apple device that is on the market right now, but will never buy HomePod until it natively supports Spotify like Amazon Echo does, so please bring it on.

10. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Is Bluetooth a show stopper?
    Or not take the time to read something you’re not interested in, then don’t get worked up over it then don’t post how irritated you are.

11. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

Is it possible to do this with Airplay? I personally feel like Google Music is sooooo much better than Apple music. Not only better but also has Youtube Red. I hate commercials.

12. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

The presumption you're making is @SigEp265 uses an iPhone. If they use an Android...
    Bluetooth is a showstopper. HomePod doesn't allow BT connection.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The one thing I like about the HomePod is it separates away just from being a “Smart speaker” catergory for the home audio experience. I have zero interest in purchasing an echo or Google Home for smart speaker capabilities, the Home Pod is about the sound experience primarily, which is all I want from it.

14. jona2125 macrumors 6502

Have not setup the HomePod yet but owning Amazon and Google smart speakers, I greatly favor the Google system it just works far better and effectively.

15. StevieD100 macrumors 6502

StevieD100

None of the above ... whch seems to be the majority opinion.

Would never have a google or amazon spy in my home so that leaves Apple. Knock £200 off the price and I might just consider it the next time 29th February comes around. In other words 'Meh!'.

16. fairuz macrumors 65816

fairuz

All I want is something that streams music from YouTube and has AirPlay. HomePod is severely limited, but nothing else will have AirPlay. All these options still seem worse than an old Windows PC hooked up to some speakers.

17. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Having used Google Home a lot, and Alexa a bit less, Google Home definitely is the better choice, IMO.

18. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

what smart speaker did you have in 2007? I didn't think the category existed then.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Oh, MacRumors! You flirt!

:giggle:

20. diipii macrumors 6502a

Spot on.
    And add to that talking to any device in your home, especially in front of friends is merely proving how gullible you are.

21. redneckitengineer macrumors regular

redneckitengineer

I have 2x UE Boom, they’re bluetooth, battery operated, and LOUD. They can be placed in stereo, feeding off each other to create separate channels for audio. The quality of the audio is superb to me.

22. Tech198 macrumors G5

"However, the data also suggests that Google is at less risk of losing share to Apple HomePod than Amazon"

lol 30% on Google..I think we all know why that is.

Google is in a different market anyway.Apple protects your privacy, while selling is Google main business.

23. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Isn't it pretty much an established marketing truism (if not fact) that iPhone owners are more willing than Android owners to buy accessories period? Part of that might be that so many Android phones are basic which distorts the "Android buyer" class. But iPhones on whole cost more than Android phones -- nothing less than $200 (SE) though the average iPhone price is much higher.

I'm interested in a smart speaker, certainly not Google or Amazon though. Home Pod isn't quite there yet for me either. But the interest is there.

24. Tech198 macrumors G5

I look at it as Apple users buy accessories, partly because they must, as it the only thing that will work with iOS devices for 100% of the time, and not break. because of the premium you pay..

But Google has much more choice out there for Android users.

25. Villarrealadrian macrumors member

Who makes this surveys and why don’t they ask me?