Smart to buy a bag with a magnetic clasp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jessay, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Jessay macrumors member

I was going to buy a laptop bag, but I realized that it has a magnetic pocket. Should I buy it? Or are magnets harmful towards MacBooks/laptops?

2. lozzy1234567890 macrumors member

Yes, don't get a bag with magnetic straps, it can wipe out your HDD and end up requiring you to install the OS again. /sarcasm

Nah, it won't, I've had a bag with magnetic straps for 3 years now, never caused any harm to my macbook, still going strong. :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The magnets used in bags, like most everyday use magnets, are not strong enough to wipe data from a hard drive.

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

id recomend a incase neoprene sleeve plus if ur looking for a sleeve.

5. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

i'll second that.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The booq Vyper is the best protection I've ever seen in a notebook sleeve. In my opinion, it offers far better protection than any neoprene case, the zippers never come into contact with your MBP, and it looks great!
    [​IMG]

7. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

I've heard horror stories about magnetic money clips in a users pockets causing repeated HD deaths.

Whether or not the magnet in said money clip is stronger than the one on the bag, or if it's newer or older models laptops affected by this, I couldn't tell you. But I'd rather not take the chance personally.

Something to keep in mind anyway.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios