Smart to buy a discounted prev gen MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mdogg3, Oct 18, 2008.

1. mdogg3 macrumors newbie

Hello, so I am about to buy my first mac and need a bit of guidance. At my bookstore they slashed the prices of the old macbooks and the discount is hard to ignore. Before I heard the new MB was coming out I had my eye on the 1199 model, 2.4ghs, 2GB ram, 160GB hard drive. Now that one is on sale for 949, should I just buy that one or pay the extra 300 for the new one? I basically just browse the web, DL music and watch streaming video in HD. Will the old MB support this and be ok for a few years? I don't want to run into problems when snow leopard is released. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

MDOGG3

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

You should be just fine going with the cheap "old" one for your needs. And snow leopard is just a more efficient version of leopard - rather than a bunch of new bells and whistles - so you should be grand on that front too.

3. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

If 300 dolars doesn' t mean too much to you, buy the new one.

It will offer you a better user experience plus higher second hand selling price in the future.

Maybe you can ask someone who is uni student and get the new one with a discount price.

4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

The spouse needed a Mac laptop for business and we were waiting for the 10/14 unveiling. We had a ~$1000 limit for the laptop itself. After the unveiling, it was obvious that the most power for the buck was the refurbished 2.4 GHz MB. Since for this computer's role, we don't care about video or frame rates and such, it seems that $1049 for the 2.4 MB suited our needs just fine.

Fedex is supposed to deliver it any moment now...

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Mine was 2 weeks old according to coconut battery. Brand new BMB in a plain jane cardboard box. Hope yours is too! Enjoy:D

6. jlamb0 macrumors member

I have a 2.4GHz prev gen macbook, and I love it.
    If you aren't running very graphics intensive apps, I doubt you'll notice much of a performance difference. And you can always make up some of the speed difference with a comparatively cheap RAM upgrade.

7. mdogg3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback! I think I will be going with the 2.4ghz "old" MB. I am a Uni student by the way and we only get a $50 education discount, and money is definitely a problem for me being your stereotypical poor college student ;). I really like the aesthetics of the new MB though, wish they would of kept the old $1099 price point...

8. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

As I mentioned , consider also your future selling price. Maybe you will pay more money now but you will also get more money when you sell it in the future.

But I understand that you have some money issues . Hope you win the lottery :p