Smart to buy a MacBook now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fuzzy Orange, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

The MacBook was just updated in May, but I was hoping for Santa Rosa + the boosted Graphics capabilities. Does it sem likely that Apple will release MBs with Santa Rosa soon? If I remember correctly, the MB followed the MBPs by only a couple weeks as far as the regular C2D chip was concerned. The current MB fits my needs, but at the same time, Santa Rosa may seem likely soon. The only Graphics intensive thing I would need to do is run World Of Warcraft, but could the MacBook handle that? Besides that, I'm just using Photoshop CS3 and GarageBand... both of which I know the MB can handle.

2. 66217 Guest

I would guess the MB would not see an update until December-January.

So right now it is a very good time to buy one. Not sure about WoW, but it must run in OK performance.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

4. jellz macrumors regular

this time the macbooks were updated before the mbp. The macbooks won't be updated soon, so I'll say it's a good time to buy!

5. Illicit macrumors 6502

Yes, WoW runs fine on a MB, even on one prior to the update.
    Of course, that's on low-medium settings. it's safe to assume there won't be another update to the MB before 3rd quarter.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'd say it's a good time to buy, but wait until after wwdc just in case

7. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

^^Is there any real reason to wait until after WWDC though? Unless you're one of those hopeful to see a smaller MBP ;). Yes, its a great time to buy a MacBook!!!! :D

8. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

why not wait till after WWDC?

it'll only cost you a couple of days, and you may get somehing extra:cool:

9. mokal macrumors newbie

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

I'm considering buying a MacBook but the only thing thats stopping me is the new version of OS X that is supposed to be released in October.

Two questions:
    Is it worth the wait?
    Can I update Tiger to Leopard? And how much is it predicted to cost? Or do Apple give you a free update?

Thanks

10. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Depends on the features, at WWDC it's predicted that Steve might show all the secret features of Leopard. Check them out when he presents them and decide if those features are worth the wait. Me, I think Leopard so far is worth the wait. Especially Time Machine, Spaces and and an updated GUI called "Illuminous".
    Yes, you have 3 options here. You can choose to update, archive and install or erase and install to Leopard when you get the Leopard install disc.
    Leopard is predicted to cost $129 and I think if you bought a mac 14 days and after before Leopard, you might get a free update.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you need 3D graphics (games primarily), then wait for the SR update to the MB which, due to the Intel graphics update included in the chipset, will make this a much more significant upgrade for MBs than it was for MBPs (assuming that you have any use for these graphics capabilities). It will also accomodate 4GB of RAM at the next upgrade, but again you must consider if this is something important enough to you to hold out for.

Otherwise, the MB is now about what it will be in the next upgrade, and you will have the use of the computer starting now as opposed to waiting for what I expect will be an October/November release.

Of course, if you wait, then you are probably going to want to wait for Penryn.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Since the MacBooks were just recently updated, I doubt that we will see Santa Rosa based MacBooks any time soon. So I would say that now is a good time to buy a new MacBook. :)

But like iW00t suggested, if you want something to play games on, consider a refurbished MacBook Pro. I even have one for sale on eBay if you are interested. :)

13. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Well, I was going to buy a MB in about two weeks, so I would be able to wait until after WWDC. But yeah, if they aren't updated by then, then I guess they won't be updated for awhile. Is Aperture graphics intensive? I think on the page for it, it says it will work with the GMA 950. I would get it with 2 GB of RAM, so I think that would be enough for both Aperture and Photoshop. The only thing is that it has to last me about 2 1/2 years. Could a current MacBook do that?

14. hawaiian macrumors member

hawaiian

I definitely think that the current macbook would last 2.5 years. But make sure that this is the right model for you. If you intend to anything that is graphics intensive, I would suggest reconsidering the MBP option. It doesn't sound like you'll need anything from the new Intel chipset though and if you don't care about screen size, then I would think that the macbook is for you.

Good luck.

15. mokal macrumors newbie

Do you know if it will be sold straight away or will I have to wait for some time before I can actually buy it?

16. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

tomorrow will be the best day for a year to buy a new mac of any sort im sure

17. Igantius macrumors 65816

Yes, it is. However...

Those who have tested it on MacBooks have been generally favourable in the findings - there are some pretty decent reviews online worth having a look at. There's a particularly good MB one over at Neowin - I think the chap included video footage of Aperture in action.

This is going to boil down to how much you use Aperture - if it's heavily, then go with a MBP. As I say, it runs not too shabbily on MBs, but neither are they Aperture workhorses. As for PS, no problem running that on MB - and you'll find no end of info on this here and on various benchmarks online.

18. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I am not sure on that one. I think it will be available right away.

19. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

We won't see an update till October-November. Buy this gen, they're solid solid machines :). Plus if your a student you get a free iPod

20. Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Agreed. However, it is possible that Penryn and the SR revision will occur in Oct/Nov, so it might be worth waiting for that if Leopard is something the OP wants. I have a feeling Leopard will work on the current MBs but it will be optimized for the next chipset. It seems the MBs serve as the lowest common denominator to best run the operating system installed on them at the time.

I think the mini will be discontinued--but I could be wrong.