SMART Utility vs smcFanControl - HD temp discrepancy

Discussion in 'iMac' started by djc6, Mar 7, 2011.

1. djc6 macrumors 6502

I replaced the HD in my iMac, the Western Digital Caviar Blue it came with failed. Anyways, I noticed that SMART Utility reports the drive as being 51C and smcFanControl says 41C - which should I trust? Thats a pretty big discrepancy. Makes me wonder if I put the HD sensor back on right.

2. djc6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ran the fan at max for a few minutes... now smcfancontrol says 40C, SMART Utility and SMARTreporter say 44C - so there is still a discrepancy, but its less of one.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

and that is normal , because smc is using the heat sensor attached to the outside of the harddrive , and smart is using a sensor inside the harddrive so the smart reading will always be higher...
    i think the 09 10 and 2011 Macs use internal smart sensor

4. djc6 thread starter macrumors 6502

It just bothers me that the fan control is being based on the sensor with the lower reading. Unless 50C is normal for an all-in-one computer like the iMac. 50C seems average based on the submitted user info on this site:

http://www.intelmactemp.com/

5. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

50c is fine. Most modern CPU's can run at well over 80c so dont worry.

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

as long as the hdd stays under 60 degree most of its time its fine, and yes All In One computers run a bit warmer generally in comparison with desktops which are easier to cool as enough space for big efficient fans inside