Smart watches functionality if phone is not near.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tl01, Mar 17, 2015.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

My son wants a smart watch. He can't get an apple watch bc he has a droid. I just didn't want to figure out my log in for the droid forum so I'm asking here. He wants to be able to use a watch while at school where he can't have his phone. Can he use functions like the pedometer and clock etc from the watch while his phone is at home? He has no need to the call and text functions.

2. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

I'm not sure if the watch will require 'pairing' before it becomes functional however it appears the watch has local music and photo storage, and the fitness and health bits are implied to be untethered so folks can work out without their phone. I forgot where I heard Cook mention that specific use case.

How the music and photos GET to the watch would likely require a phone (as opposed to say, icloud over wifi)

We will know soon enough but this is a good question.

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Yes, but it will NOT work with a droid anyway. Functionality is limited away from your iphone and you must reauthenticate for some features every time you take it off.

4. DC Wallaby macrumors regular

OP is asking about non-Apple smart watches, not the Apple Watch.

I don't know what Android and platform agnostic watches are capable of on their own. I would imagine that checking the individual device's product info would answer this, though.