Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Okay, so I'm still trying to decide if it's a smart move or just a gimic. Couple friends at work have them and I'm torn. Swore I wouldn't but then I'm a tech nut at heart.

What do you all think of them? Best uses?

Thoughts?

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Okay, so I'm still trying to decide if it's a smart move or just a gimic. Couple friends at work have them and I'm torn. Swore I wouldn't but then I'm a tech nut at heart.

What do you all think of them? Best uses?

Thoughts?

Wearables will be gimmicky for a long time. They will take a lot of refinement (years) before they become useful in general consumer space.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Like it

The big challenge for devices like these are the combination of battery capacity and size/weight.

I think the Samsung Gear 2 gets a lot of things right when it comes to features though:

Camera
Microphone/Speaker so you can place/answer calls
IR-transmitter for controlling things like your TV
Fitness-things like heart rate monitor/step counter
Internal memory for photos/music and so on
Notifications (e-mail, texts, Facebook ++)

It is however in a device that I personally find too big for using as a 'watch'.

I have the smaller Gear Fit which omits a lot of the major functions from the Gear 2, but is much more 'watch'-like in size.

After only a week I am getting quite used to getting notifications from the phone on the Gear Fit, and I think it is a great idea since I rarely walk around with the phone itself on me at work or home - it stays on the living room table or at my desk, very often with the sound turned off.

It is one of those things (much like using a cell phone with a large screen) that you don't really miss or see the need for until you have tried it :)

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I like the concept of the smartwatch, as I'm hooked on large phones which can be a nuisance to pull out of the pocket repeatedly only to find that I've received another spam mail or unimportant notification. I'm waiting for them to get thinner and better looking though. Maybe next year.

Ultimately, I'd love it if I could use a smartwatch to activate and control any app on my phone that doesn't necessarily rely on using the full screen. Like, with the phone in my pocket and headphones in, being able to start Spotify and choosing a track, then switching to Google Music to play a track I have stored on my phone, then making a call, etc. - all without having to pull the phone out.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Wearables will be gimmicky for a long time. They will take a lot of refinement (years) before they become useful in general consumer space.

Agreed. As long as they need to be paired with a smartphone, it is a no go for me.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Agreed. As long as they need to be paired with a smartphone, it is a no go for me.

Well, if you want a fully functioning smartphone the size of a wristwatch you might have to wait a few years,

The whole point of wearable devices these days is that it can pull all sorts of data from your smartphone, and communicate with it. Devices that don't do that are just advanced watches.

That being said, basic functionality does of course work with most of these devices without being connected to a smartphone, but it is far less useful.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Depends on what you use it for. I'd like to get a Fit like device for notifications mainly. I'm in my car a lot and it's a pain to pull out my phone, so being able to glance quickly at my wrist would save a lot of trouble. I used to want a smartwatch but I'm not so sure anymore and kind of am liking the form factor of the Fit, but unfortunately Samsung stupidly only allows it to work with their own devices.

For fitness I think it's kind of a waste, but fitness fads are what make money and people gobble that up like candy. Any reviews on the HR monitor? I was under the impression you had to stop and hold still to get a HR reading, making it useless. Can you keep sprinting full force and still get a HR reading?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Any reviews on the HR monitor? I was under the impression you had to stop and hold still to get a HR reading, making it useless. Can you keep sprinting full force and still get a HR reading?

I can't speak to the HR Monitor on the smart devices, but I will highly recommend the Polar Beat products and their corresponding app on both the iPhone and Android.

It works flawlessly and not only tracks your HR at all times including while exercising, it logs and tracks things in many different ways including various exercises not just running or biking.

Look into them and PM Me if you have any questions. I use mine at every workout.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Kairos Watches

Figured I'd bump this thread rather than start an entirely new thread.

Stumbled across this the other day. Kairos' implementation is genius--best of both mechanical and smart watch display, all in one. Obviously the price point is much different than what I think we can expect from Samsung/Moto/LG/Apple but as someone who does like to wear a watch, these would interest me much more than what's being currently put out. And they are planning on implement Android Wear as their OS, eventually. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.