Smartcovers supposed to dent so easily???

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by cperchard, Mar 27, 2012.

1. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Hi, never owned an ipad till last week when i bought the new one......i bought the red leather smartcover and i have treated both immaculately. But i've noticed there are so many dents and scratches on the outer casing...is that normal??

2. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

Better for the smart cover to dent than the screen to break.

3. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes i agree, just wondering if it's normal or if i have a dodgy one....cos i mean i have hardly touched it at all......been very careful with it and touching it on the outside.....so seems strange why theres so many.

4. Kelly682 macrumors regular

This happened to my brother-in-law's iPad. After seeing his, I refuse to get a smart cover. There are people out there who have had smart covers for a couple of years and no problems. With my new iPad, I'm not taking the chance.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

leather = delicate
    poly = sturdy

but poly comes in lousy colors....

leather can be brought back by massaging this in:
    [​IMG]

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Where did you buy it from? I think the red leather ones are only supposed to be available from Apple. There are a lot of counterfeit smart covers out there, especially on amazon.com

With that said, leather goods (IMHO) are supposed to show some wear. If it looks showroom new it hasn't been used. This is as true for leather satchels and portfolios as leather smart covers. JMHO though.

I've had my black leather sc for a year now. I've been very happy with it (apart from the price)

7. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

Sorry about my response, was a bit smartass. As for the original question, all the smart cover use I have has been since the third gen iPad was release, only about a week. I have the black leather one and haven't seen any real issues with it yet. No scratches, nicks, or dents. But when I do see my first one in it, I will be happy, because that same pressure was exerted on the $70 (or however much it is) smart cover, and not the $700 piece of electronics. I guess that's what I was trying to say when I replied early this morning.

8. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I got it from apple, it's legit don't worry........it's not the soft side that's the problem (the side that touches the screen).....it's the outer harder side....just seems there's a lot of marks in it already, indents etc.....thought it strange since it was so expensive and I have hardly touched it!

----------

No worries, and I still agree its better that the case is damaged than the iPad, just thought it weird cos hardly touched it that's all :)