Smartdisk Firelight (FW) Doesn't Connect to MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Freakk123, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Freakk123 macrumors regular

My Smartdisk Firelight 120 GB Firewire HDD was unplugged from my computer one time before I could eject it, and since it has been difficult to connect to my MBP. When I plug the firewire cable in, the green power light turns on, but the orange activity light does not unless I wiggle around the cable some, and then I have to get the cable to stay in a certain position or it will unexpectedly eject.

For a while it wouldn't connect no matter what I did. Luckily, it just did so I'm backing up my iTunes, Aperture and iPhoto libraries, which are all located on the hard drive.

Anyway, any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem? I tried using a different firewire cable and it change the situation, and I really need this hard drive to work.

Thanks for any help.

2. malfromage macrumors newbie

Firelight and iMac problem

Be very interested to see what replies you get, as I just started having the same difficulty. Mine, however, doesn't do anything but light up the power light no matter how much I jiggle the cable.

Mal

3. myusername macrumors member

myusername

I've returned 2 of these in 2 weeks, at least the new version, 1 Firewire 1 USB port. It lights up but no power no drive noise. The data is gone. I was freeing space on my MBP and copied 35 gigs off the internal ejected drive and plugged it into my Quad and drive wouldn't mount.

I've gone so far as to tear down the casing and put drive in another enclosure, no luck, it's just gone, dead and gone. This one goes back tonight and switch back to either the older model or the LaCie portable which I've had great luck with.

I'll never delete files until they have successfully copied. Repeat 100 times.

-r