Smartest way to buy an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sauce, Oct 29, 2008.

1. sauce macrumors newbie

I'm going to be buying an iPhone, the 16gb. They are $299 plus tax w/ contract most places. I thought I'd come here and ask before I do it because maybe there is a better deal out there. I'm familiar with Apple and their price fixing policy but its worth a shot if I can save even a few bucks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

IMHO that is the best way to do it. eBay may afford you the opportunity to not have to enter into a contract, but without unlocking your best bet is just as you had stated.

3. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

safest way is to wear a seatbelt on your way to the store ;)

4. thealmeidas1022 macrumors newbie

thealmeidas1022

if you can afford the prices on ebay (usually higher than what you will pay at the store) then go for it. I believe you enter a contract one way or the other either way though. :D

and yes where your seat belt and stop at the red lights

5. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Presuming you're in the United States, you're correct, there are no deals to be had on the purchase of the phone itself. If you have an Apple store nearby, they offer much better customer service compared to most AT&T stores.

There is one thing to consider. You may be eligible for a FAN discount. (search in this forum for more info) If eligible, it won't discount the cost of the phone, but it will discount your monthly plan (usually 10-20% depending on the company or school). If you go this route, your best bet is to go to an AT&T store to get your iPhone becasue Apple stores do not process FAN discounts (it's an AT&T thing).

Hope this helps,
    Bryan