Smartphone screen sizes and resolution

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jellybean, Nov 6, 2010.

1. jellybean macrumors regular

Just been helping a friend try to decide which phone she's going to go for between an iPhone 4 and HTC Desire HD. An immediate difference between the two is their physical size. The Desire HD's 4.3" screen dwarfs the iPhone's 3.5" screen, but I noticed the iPhone has a much higher screen resolution. Am I right then in thinking that means you're able to fit more onto the iPhone's screen than the Desire HD's, despite it having a smaller physical screen?
    If that's the case, what advantages are there to having a big ass 4.3 screen if the resolution's a little lacklustre?

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

whats the advantage of having a 50" fullHD if you can get 1920*1080 resolution on a 22" screen.

when apple doubled the resolution on the iPhone 4, they didnt shrink everything down by 50% but made it look alot more crisp while keeping the original sizes.

it all comes down to whether you're comfortable to use/carry a 4.3" device, really

3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

I believe Apple with increase the size of the iPhone to a 4" but in keeping the Retina Display.

Only way to compete with competition who all seems to be either having a 3.7" screen or 4".

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

Other way around. 4.3 will show more/bigger content, but 3.5 will be more clear.

5. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

I love the retina display but the bigger, oled screen on the fascinate/captivate phones are pretty nice. I think a 4" iPhone would be a killer update if they can fit it in to the same form factor. They need to push the boundaries again and set a new standard for handsets.

6. rikbrown macrumors regular

Go to a shop and try them side by side - eg open the same web page on both. See which one they prefer :)

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I can't imagine Apple ever doing that to their precious phone. It seems like an extremely radical change to me. Honestly, I'm completely content with the current screen size. A small .2" increase would be ok I guess, but I just don't see Steve Jobs going with it.

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

There's certaintly enough room to make a bigger screen without increasing size of device.