Smartphone with Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redshift1, Nov 28, 2010.

1. redshift1 macrumors regular

Just verifing this with everybody. I have a HTC Desire and my cell plan includes unlimited data for $30 a month . All I need to do is tether the phone to the Ipad and I then have unlimited 3g service.

So as long as I maintain the contract there is no reason to buy a 3g Ipad. Am I missing something here or is there a better way to go.

Thanks

2. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

You are not missing anything. However, iPhone that's not jailbroken does not have wifi hotspot functionality. In essence if you are a big Apple fanboy who has an iPad and iPhone, you need to pay 2 sets of data fee to get both devices connected.

By the way, are you on Telus?

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    But he said he was using an HTC Desire?

If your Desire creates a 3G Hotspot then don't waste your money on a 3G iPad.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You're not missing anything, just be mindful that using the hotpot functionality on your phone will drain its battery quite a bit.

5. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Ah, lucky you! Honestly AT&T's lack of an unlimited plan when it comes to data is one reason I will most likely jump ship whenever the iPhone becomes available on another carrier.

6. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can just tether from the Desire over to the wifi iPad if you're on Android 2.2 and rooted, but remember, it doesn't go the other way around - so if you got a 3G ipad, android devices cannot receive your wifi signal.

I am using an unlimited 3G ipad and I'm tethering to my iphone on tmobile so that I don't have to pay for internet twice. It works great, I would do what you're doing (android handset with wifi only ipad) but I hate android.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Buddy you have the perfect set up. I tether my nexus one with unlimited data to my 64GB WiFi iPad and I'm always good to go. Stick with it.

8. redshift1 thread starter macrumors regular

Cox Cable just started rolling out wireless phone service in three areas. One happens to be in Orange County Ca where I live. They sold me the HTC Desire for $19.00 bucks with a $200.00 Visa Card plus a free HD movie channel. I dumped my landline and ported the number to the cell phone. So with a two year contract my total monthly payment is $71.00 but since I dumped the landline my monthly payment went up only $45.00 dollars.

9. redshift1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did not renew my AT&T contract .. they will not budge on the cost of their
    plans especially the smartphones.

10. redshift1 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm coming from an iphone so android will be new to me..... most reviews are positive but you never know till you try it. I know that battery life is an issue and the screens can break easily at least I'm forewarned.

11. Weiser878 macrumors regular

This is what I do with my MacBook and iPhone and my Dad does with his iPad and EVO.

I am grandfathered in on my iPhone, so I have unlimited data. It is jailbroken and I use MyWi to create a WiFi hotspot.

12. redshift1 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a lot of Apple products but i'm disappointed with the restrictions on the iphone seems at odds with their image.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

+1 I do the same w my tmobile my touch g4. It's mainly for airports and road trips so finding power hasn't been an issue.

That's more a carrier issue than apple, though you'd think they'd have a hotspot app for those who choose to pay for tethering at the carrier.

Cheers,

14. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

Your scenario is exactly mine 3 weeks ago before upgrading to an iPhone 4.

I had an HTC Desire with unlimited data. I was able to use the HTC Desire as wifi hotspot and stream the internet connection to my wife's wifi iPad wirelessly. The good thing about the Android 2.2 is the ability to render the HTC Desire a hotspot allowing if I am not mistaken up to 3 people to connect to you. Keep in mind though that this will obviously drain the battery (both devices) . I am not sure if it heavily drain it or not as my Ipad is wifi + 3G and I have an unlimited data on it. And my wife usually uses her non-3G ipad at home.

15. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

I think most people in this thread are missing a crucial element: aGPS. The WiFi version doesn't include the GPS chip (correct me if I'm wrong), so you wouldn't be able to use the GPS functions as accurately. Of course, if you have GPS on your phone already, it shouldn't be an issue.

16. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

Good point!

Also, the HTC Desire has a very competent GPS system.

17. redshift1 thread starter macrumors regular

I did not know that, Its for maps, directions and locating the ipad...anything else?

18. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I actually went with the jailbreaking route but ultimately decided to get a 3G iPad for the reason that some folks have already mentioned. My iPhone just wouldn't last long enough when it was acting as a hotspot. With the 3G iPad, i never really have to worry about juice AND I can still make phone calls with my iPhone.

19. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Just to mention, the MyWi 4.0 is not a bad battery drain. You can customize it to broadcast at less power for shorter range, and turn off the flashing blue "tethering" bar and it only drains 5%-7%/hour
    Also, you can still make calls while WiFi tethering. Don't know why you'd think otherwise.

Anyway, the 3G functionality on the iPad is never a bad thing to have, and if you discover the phone tethering works for you, you can always deactivate the iPad's month to month service.

Incidentally, what do you primarily use the iPad for?
    Streaming 3 or 4 hours of Netflix a day, plus moderate to heavy use during the day on my iPhone 4, I used 7GB of data 1 month when I wasn't around WiFi

20. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I guess it would come in handy for location-based apps, such as Facebook places, but youre not missing much if you already can do the location things on your phone.

21. gh0001 macrumors member

i use iTether on my JBed iPad to connect to Internet from my iPhone. it uses bluetooth so it is supposed to be more power efficient.

however, I still find 3g standalone capability on iPad desirable - if it has 3g the ipad is "always connected", you don't have to tether to check email, etc. much convenient.