Smartphones can be good for safety

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Let me tell you this: Find My Friends could potentially save a life.

Today my mom called my dad and me when I was hitching a ride to work because my car is getting fixed. She was feeling sick to the point of nearly passing out and pulled over into a subdivision about a mile from the house. She called my dad's iPhone and tried to tell us, but we could just understand "I need you to get me" and she said the major street name. I've used FMF a million times to see where they are when I'm meeting them, so it instantly dawned on me that I could figure out exactly where she was at without even the street name.

So I navigated using FMF and we found her instantly. This may have been even better than calling 911 because I don't think 911 has any locating services. We eventually did just to be safe. But FMF got us there.

So I thought I'd share because I'm sure plenty of you are children of baby boomers like I am. If my grandma was still around, I'm sure we would've gotten her an iPhone just for such a reason. She lived by herself for 30 years. I live by myself, and it once had a pinched nerve in my back that gave me the nicest pain ever, keeping me from possibly even getting out of the durn bed or off the floor had i been there.

If you're a parent of kids in maybe second grade or older, this might also be a sound investment. You'll have to figure out the parental controls so you aren't charged $800 for in-app purchases. But there were a couple of attempted kidnapping around here recently, and just having that GPS locator on a kid could save a life in such a situation.

Everybody is OK. But I thought I'd share a nice personal tech story that could help someone else out with a family member.

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Thats exactly what i said in another thread. Glad everything is okay.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

4. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

This is a awesome story and I'm really glad your mom is OK and safe.

This is a great anecdote to add to the discussion about services like FindMyPhone. Usually you hear about the privacy concerns and issues around having too much personal data out there. It's nice to hear stories about the technology making the world a better place. :)

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Find my iPhone requires a password. FMF does not.

6. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I completely got the two mixed up. I meant FMF.

But, both use and broadcast your location data.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

Yes. With consenting parties FMF is very convenient.

8. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I'm glad your mother was safe, but people who are experiencing an emergency are generally advised to call 911 first. A lot of 911 call centers are equipped with technology that can give the operator the caller's estimated location, assuming the caller has a phone that is capable of sending such data. With that said, however, I just found an article from some time last year: Fierce Wireless - Some 911 operators aren't getting cell phone location data - who is to blame?

9. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

Well, it was the kind of thing that was borderline. I mean we were there for at least five minutes before we actually called. I've felt similar before without going into detail, but I think she had the symptoms a little bit worse and was driving. She wasn't even a mile from home, so that made sense.

I'm going to read up on some of that because they both need to know about that. They don't live in a city with vertical issues, so pretty much sending an alert saying "help, here's my location" would bring the necessary responders right to them.

I'd really support a ground-up overhaul of 911 because of how many people have smartphones. Calling 911 is, sorry, 2000 and late. There should, sorry, be an app for that. The 911 call should be a reliable backup to some app that you open, hit a button from a screen of four to eight options that will then dispatch based on your GPS location -- which sounds way more accurate than what the wireless companies can do -- without even needing to talk.

Thanks again for that link!

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I know in Boston they were talking about implementing something like this (I think it was via SMS). Their reasoning was actually because of all the non emergent calls that get through blocking people who actually need help from getting an operator speedily. Not sure what ever became of this. Will have to look it up now.