Smartphones/Tablets Vs Laptops et al for casual internet surfing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Laserducky, Feb 15, 2016.


Which do you use more in your free time for casual internet surfing ?

  1. Smartphone/Tablet

  2. Laptop/Desktop

  3. Others

    0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Laserducky macrumors regular


    Dec 29, 2013
    Hi Guys,

    Using my smartphone for the last couple of years, I've noticed a trend affecting not only myself but in others around me as well : we are using laptops and desktops less and less in our free time for casual internet surfing. The following points are pertinent :

    1.) Smartphones/Tablets with bigger screens are giving us more real estate than was possible before.
    2.) On a similar note, their processing and graphical prowess have increased steadily.
    3.) Most aspects of our online life have apps which port over their functionality to smartphones/tablets as well : Social Networking Apps, Banking Apps, Health Apps etc

    Of course for certain things, like watching movies (on a bigger screen), working in Excel or photography editing, we still need a laptop but the gap is getting smaller every year. And of course laptops have bigger batteries !

    What do you guys think ?

    Cheers !
  2. eyoungren macrumors Core


    Aug 31, 2011
    ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
    The way it works in my world…

    Laptops/Desktops for general/heavy web browsing/social sites, the occasional movie and general work (email, design, word processing, etc). My iPhone goes everywhere I go, but I use my PowerBook at Starbucks or work.

    Smartphone/tablet. Smartphone for quick access to stuff on the go when I don't have any other device or having a different device would be unsuitable. My iPad serves as my GPS/NAV system in my 1997 Accord and for light browsing when I am on the couch. Both my iPhone and iPad have my email hooked up, but other than quick responses or short emails I use my PowerMac, PowerBook or MBP. I stream music using the iPad in the car and an old iPhone 5 if I need something smaller. I will watch a video on my 6s+ but only if that's my only option. The iPad sees a bit more of that, but that's not it's main use.

    Other. My TV is my main viewing screen for movies. It's the largest screen I have so that's what I watch movies on.

    Each of my devices has a purpose depending on it's capabilities.
  3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020


    May 16, 2013
    Kansas, USA
    I definitely use my iPhone 5 the most out of all my devices. Between social media, texting, phone, email, news, occasional gaming, music, camera, time clock for work, and lots more. My MacBook Pro has been relegated to schoolwork, managing my Pathfinder character, and the occasional movie. My iPad Mini is for Netflix at home.

    All in all it seems to work out. My iPhone 5 is just over three years old and still going strong with daily use. It helps that I had the battery replaced last fall. My MacBook Pro is a late-2013 rMBP, and it's holding up well. Compare that to my older mid-2009 MBP that I used every day and started having issues after two years. Using my iPhone more has me believeing that my MacBook Pro will last longer. Although the flash storage could certainly handle daily use better than the standard hard drive in my old Mac.
  4. cableguy84, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

    cableguy84 macrumors 65816


    Sep 7, 2015
    I bought a 6s plus to use for light everyday browsing , eliminating the need for a tablet.
  5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

    Newtons Apple

    Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Fore my casual Internet cruising my iPads replaced my laptop and desktop. iPad are perfect for this purpose. As far as using a phone, it will do in the field but even my 6S+ screen leaves me wanting more screen.
  6. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

    Jun 15, 2009
    Using my iPhone 6plus more and more for the internet. Prior to the first 6 plus, I used my iPad a lot more. For random internet now, my usage is probably 45% iPhone - 25% laptop - 20% iPad - 10% desktop
  7. willmtaylor macrumors G3


    Oct 31, 2009
    A Natural State
    Not smartphone or tablet; the difference is too great in most cases, so I didn't vote.

    For me the ideal internet consumption device is hands down my iPad Air 2.

    It's fine on my iMac's. It's ok on my iPhone 6.
  8. adamhenry macrumors 68000


    Jan 1, 2015
    On the Beach
    Without a doubt I prefer the MBP over the IPA2.
  9. lordofthereef macrumors G5


    Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    95% of all of my internet surfing is done on a 6S Plus. The other 5% is divided between a macbook pro, windows 7 pc (home theater pc), and a series of work machines.
  10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess


    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    A ton on my phone, a lot on my laptop, but not a ton on my iPad. It's just what I'm used to

Share This Page