Smartphones these days.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Skylitfly, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

I didn't fully realize how far smartphones have come till I had to use my iPhone exclusively 5 days straight for everything.

These things are truly supercomputers in our pockets. Just wow. This realization blew my mind. Possibilities are almost limitless as far as you have the right apps.

I don't deny the fact that iPad and Mac are way better and more convinient for many tasks but iPhone and other flagship smartphones are pretty darn impressive. I think I appriciate mobile technology on a whole different level now. Count me super impressed.

2. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

Out of pure curiosity, did you use your phone in those 5 days for work / productivity ?

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Very true, just such a shame that 90% of the apps on the App Store are freemium addictive pay-to-play shovelware. I'm not sure how much iAds had to contribute to this demise but it's such a shame when considering the potential of the hardware. We've got console-level GPUs and desktop-class CPUs!

4. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

Don't buy into Apple's hype.
    The 6s Plus GPU does not even come close to my PS4.
    Maybe, just maybe it's on par with the PS3

This "console-level GPU" bullsh*t was discussed last year.

5. Skylitfly, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not in a sense of making actual work. But sure for productivity such as decent photoediting, file management (in Dropbox), minor content creation, taking photos, gaining information and making research, sharing files etc.

Normal stuff, I know. What blew my mind was the sudden realization that not so many years ago you would have absolutely needed a laptop/computer and DSLR camera for all that.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

PS3 is still a console, and games are still being developed for it :) I don't think anybody believes an iPhone 6S is on par with a PS4, but having PS3-level graphic capabilities on a phone is a stunning achievement.

7. hamiltonDSi, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

The PS3 is almost 10 years old so it's not that mind blowing.
    But I know what you mean ;) It's a great device.

PS, BTW & Off Topic :
    I'm a gamer.
    Most new games will not be released for the PS3, it's pretty much dead. :)
    The last Triple-A game that was released on the PS3 is MGSPP and it runs like cr*p.
    Had a great run though.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The a8 was 170ish gigaflops vs 1800 gigaflops for a ps4 hmm yeah that's not as powerful. The Xbox 360 was 240ish gigaflops. That's not far off. Oh PS3 was 230. Can't find any figures for the a9 but I would be interested to know.

9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

Yes, I'm curios too.
    My bet is about 300ish gigaflops for the Samsung A9 and 301ish gigaflops for the TSMC A9. Lol.

/s

10. Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to remind that the raw performance of modern mobile CPUs is not the main focus when talking about smartphone capabilities. Of course it is important but I think the main developement has happened on software side, of course enabled by better CPUs.

However, software is directly visible for users creating the experience while most of us couldn't care less about the numbers and teraflops. ;)

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I am a very serious Apple enthusiast/user of many years. I've had every iPhone to date and enjoyed them all. Oh sure, if you follow my posts you know I'm outspoken and not shy about pointing out what I don't like about Apples operations, but overall they're great.

In the smartphone sector even better, for my heavy use is Android. With a full, readily accessible file system just like a computer, the capabilities are so great that Nexus has been my primary smartphone since Android ver: 4.x.x the first truly fast, stable, ultra reliable version of the OS since it was introduced.

Apples excellent and profitable "App Model" has obviously turned them into the 800 lb. Gorilla of the industry, but it's Android that's a software engineers dream. Look what they've accomplished without any kind of truly professional Marketing Program like Apple has benefitted from for decades.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If we go by apples 90% quicker it'll be approx 320 gigaflops which yes that's last gen console killer type speed but it's ok saying that but we need to remember the chips in both the Xbox 360 and PS3 consumed 170w+ and were actively cooled. I can't see the a9 running that detail without throttling.

13. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

Yeah, 320 seems about right.
    Good point about the power consumption.

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's massively quicker than a dsi though lol

15. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65832

hamiltonDSi

Good catch !!
    I love the DSi, 3DS & Wii.
    Sure, I won't play The Last of Us and Uncharted on them but Mario Kart & Super Mario rocks !